Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 AM

Default How to diminish implied pot odds - when to vary bet sizes in NL

I need some help figuring out bet sizes to reduce implied pot odds. When ever the chips are deep, a standard PF raise seems to entice good players to call to see flops in hopes of making something good. I understand why they are doing it, it's the same reason you call a small rasie PF w/ a small pocket pair. If you hit your set you win a bunch. But how do you prevent it? If I bet huge I'll eventually get picked off by a better hand and lose alot more than I'm stealing.

Perhaps the entire problem is my post flop play. I have pretty standard bet sizing; I usually raise 5x the BB PF and bet the size of the pot post flop.

I figure potsized bets should price out most draws, but apparently not. The thing is when I look at the amount won when the draw connects, the bets he called previously gave him sufficient odds, even though the odds were not present at the time he made the call. Hence implied odds. Should I be overbetting the pot? Pushing whenever I have the lead?

Jason
Old 03-29-2005, 03:37 AM

Default Re: How to diminish implied pot odds - when to vary bet sizes in NL

Your post seems to suggest that you understand that AK and AQ, suited or not, are basically trap hands when the blinds are cheap. So play them more carefully... I wouldn't be raising five times the BB when the money is deep with these hands. I'd rather double (or any light raise)the blind and small ball weaker hands.
Old 03-29-2005, 04:29 AM

I think both your pf and flop raises are too large. You are also probably paying off hands that you should not pay off. If the flush card hits, folding to a large bet is often okay even if you are not certain that he has the flush.

-Magnus
Old 03-29-2005, 06:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps the entire problem is my post flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is precisely the problem. You should read the NL forum and post some hands there for comment.

Use your newfound understanding of implied odds to punish those who don't get it yet and leave them throwing things wondering how you could call in that spot.