Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Gift of the Week: Atlanta vs. New Orleans

[ QUOTE ]
normally i would say that betting against a home underdog is never a 'lock', but who the hell knows where new orleans is even playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is this reasoning that led me to go against my instincts and bet the niners last week. sometimes a home dog is just flat out terrible.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
normally i would say that betting against a home underdog is never a 'lock', but who the hell knows where new orleans is even playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is this reasoning that led me to go against my instincts and bet the niners last week. sometimes a home dog is just flat out terrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey as long as you pick the 46% of road faves that cover in those situations, you're golden! But seriously, it doesn't mean *always* bet a home dog, you just need to select the right ones (and losing them from time to time isn't a terrible thing unless you're throwing a huge chunk of your bankroll each time out).
Old 10-11-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
taking the saints - whenever I hear lock from someone with a 233 bankroll you know which way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

thats quite ignorant of you. Just because I have a low bankroll doesn't mean I know nothing about sports. I'm in college, and put $100 into the site before the start of the season. I dont have a full-time job where I can throw 1k into it.

I've watched Atlanta play the Bills, then Minnesota, and then New England (Direct tv [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). They're a very good football team. Home field means nothing for New Orleans. Their offense is nothing w/o Duce or Horn. They have no defense. The only way Atlanta is not going to cover 4.5 is if they have a complete team breakdown.

This game is quite definitely a lock.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
taking the saints - whenever I hear lock from someone with a 233 bankroll you know which way to go

[/ QUOTE ]

thats quite ignorant of you. Just because I have a low bankroll doesn't mean I know nothing about sports. I'm in college, and put $100 into the site before the start of the season. I dont have a full-time job where I can throw 1k into it.

I've watched Atlanta play the Bills, then Minnesota, and then New England (Direct tv [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ). They're a very good football team. Home field means nothing for New Orleans. Their offense is nothing w/o Duce or Horn. They have no defense. The only way Atlanta is not going to cover 4.5 is if they have a complete team breakdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

You might know a lot about sports but you obviously dont know a lot about sports betting. If you really like this game you should put $50 at most on it. Putting your entire BR on it is just asking for trouble. The line is at -5 for a reason, the linesmakers know much more than you do.
GL
Old 10-11-2005, 03:01 PM

I know how to manage my bankroll. But this isn't poker. i have no need to manage a sports betting bankroll. The games I like, I'll wager a lot with. I wasn't asking for criticism on how i shouldnt bet so much, or the percentage of my bankroll I should bet.

I thought this thread was going to be an intelligent discussion on your thoughts of New Orleans and Atlanta.

Unfortunately, all i got was: NO should win b/c that idiot bet his bankroll on Atlanta. and NO is the home dog so they will win.

What garbage. I'm sorry for even joining this community.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Home field means nothing for New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

You've peered right into their hearts I see. Their first game at "home" was the 19-7 win over Buffalo, and that seemed to mean something to them.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

justfademe is right: you may know a lot about sports, but people who know a lot about sports betting don't get all excited about "locks". They analyze the relevant factors, set a line, bet when they have an edge, and stay within their bankroll. It doesn't appear that you're doing any of that here.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Home field means nothing for New Orleans.

[/ QUOTE ]

New Orleans 19, Buffalo 7

SAN ANTONIO (AP) -- Aaron Brooks saw an opening and bolted. Crossing the goal line just ahead of a defender, he spiked the ball and raised his arms to celebrate.

That's when he heard it: the deafening roar of a crowd cheering for the New Orleans Saints.

And for one Sunday afternoon at least, San Antonio and the Alamodome felt like home for Brooks and his nomadic teammates.

"From the time we stepped out of the locker room going out there to warm up, they really were into it," said Brooks, who scored the Saints' only touchdown in a 19-7 win over the Buffalo Bills.

"They were excited about us being here and they embraced us," Brooks said. "We thank them for it."...

Tens of thousands of gold pompoms were distributed to the 58,688 in attendance at the 65,000-seat stadium. Fans used to cheering the NBA champions San Antonio Spurs did the wave and deafening chants of "Dee-Fense" forced the Bills (1-3) to take a delay-of-game penalty in the first quarter.

"It was a mix of New Orleans people and San Antonio people," Saints coach Jim Haslett said. "I think you saw the result. It helped our football team."

By the fourth quarter, the crowd was on its feet when the Saints stuffed Willis McGahee on fourth-and-inches, taking possession for a drive that would lead to Carney's third field goal, making it 16-7 with 5 minutes left.

"We're still the New Orleans Saints," Stallworth said. "New Orleans is still cheering for us and we have San Antonio on our side as well."
Old 10-11-2005, 03:19 PM

Betting on this game would violate my 2 most important rules of football betting.

1) Never bet on the Saints
2) Never bet against the Saints.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Betting on this game would violate my 2 most important rules of football betting.

1) Never bet on the Saints
2) Never bet against the Saints.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-11-2005, 04:03 PM

I think BSP picks should be on games where there are no significant injuries. Take two healthy teams and get a one-sided opinion and you have yourself a play. Take one team full of injuries and you just can't tell how bad it can get.