Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-13-2005, 03:06 PM

Default Poker and Life

Im sure there have been a million posts like this, but i almost cant take it anymore and was hoping some similar people on here can give me some advice etc. When i tell you my life story most of you will probably say stfu, you have it good and i do, but i still am having a hard time not wallowing in the conflict within me.

As a background, im 24, and have been a pro poker player for about 3 years. I got a bachelors degree in finance 2 years ago, and have now been dabbling in a masters program in econ part time just to mainly make it feel like i am "doing something with my life". Basically my parents, a few of my friends and one whole side of my family has a hard time accepting what i do even thought i make a six figure income which is more than most of them. They constantly are trying to talk me into getting a regular job, etc. I have a gf who is ok with it, that i have been dating for over a year. She is concerned what potential impact my proffession would have on a child if we were to get married. I have been smart with my money, buying a modest house and saving most of it, however many of my critics perceive me to have a gambling problem and be lazy. Ive been thinking a lot lately about walking away from poker to get a real job, mainly just so that the people around me will be more comfy with me. Additionally i hate the feeling that im not meeting peoples expectations of my life, especially when it comes to my parents.

Basically im stuck. Im stuck because going from 150-200k a year to 30-40k a year is a huge difference. Im stuck bc i dont want to go work behind a desk or wake up at 630 every morning. To many extents i like what i do, poker interests me in a way that nothing else really ever has, however i constantly feel guily and worry that i am "making nothing of my life". Anyways im not asking anyone to feel sorry for me, i just was hoping some of you would have some experience dealing with this or advice on how to progress from here. Thanks in advance,

DM