Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:30 PM

Default ABC question about a hand

Every one is new to this game. I am embarrased to post this but what exactly is the ABC play here and why please.

I raised pre flop, called the flop, should I have played it different?

How about the turn? I have nothing but an over card and the board is beating me.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero ?????
Old 08-16-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: ABC question about a hand

I can find a fold on the flop.

EDIT: You have a backdoor straight draw, plus 1 over. Your hand is probably worth about 3-4 outs.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:34 PM

I'd fold on the flop, you've got 1.5 outs for the 3 aces (because you won't win when you hit an A all the time). You can't be confident about the J's either.

Even if you gave yourself 3 outs you still don't have the proper pot odds to call. You practically need 6, which you don't have.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:37 PM

Oh and it's not a sin to fold the flop when you raised pre-flop. Betting into the pre-flop raiser indicates some kind of strength. You're not getting the best of it, so fold.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:38 PM

I think I raise this flop if I'm 3 bet I can find a fold even though we're getting great odds to call.

Durs
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM

Preflop - Raise is good

Flop - Fold is most likely best for a few reasons

1. The pot is not huge(the pot is always the first thing to consideer)
2. If the bettor has a Q you are essentially drawing dead, save runner/runner
3. You have no really good backdoor draws (board would be alot better for you if the Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] was instead [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]). Your straight backdoor draw isn't that grand either since you don't have 3 connected.

One could argue for a RAISE on the flop, in order to buy a free card on the turn and see the river for free. Then you can fold to a river bet.

If you raise and are 3 bet you simply fold.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM

I'd fold the flop too and then keep an eye on BB to make sure he doesn't make a habit out of betting into scary flops.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:42 PM

Heads up I would consider raising the turn. Since the player bet into two players here, I would definitely let go on the turn, possibly on the flop.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Does villian here automatically have a Q? I find it hard to believe that most of the lower limit players would simply bet out and not go for a c/r o this flop if they had a Q. Personally I tend to think he has hand like 109s or a J10. We may very well be folding the best hand here if we autofold on the flop. I think raising tells us if we're beat or not and can also give us a free card. As long as we're disciplined enough to fold to a 3 bet on the flop I really like raising here.

Durs
Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every one is new to this game. I am embarrased to post this but what exactly is the ABC play here and why please.

I raised pre flop, called the flop, should I have played it different?

How about the turn? I have nothing but an over card and the board is beating me.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 folds, Hero ?????

[/ QUOTE ]

What is your thought process on calling the flop?

I guess BB having a Q isn't too likely since so many people would slowplay that. So a majority of the time, you're either ahead already, or behind a 9 or pocket pair. You're getting a decent price, so calling is probably ok. It doesn't seem like raising will accomplish much either.

When BB gets called by both of you and he bets again, he's less likely to have something you're ahead of. Your odds are also worse, so folding seems ok.