Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 03:43 PM

Default Re: ABC question about a hand

The ABC answer is to just fold the flop. You have a weak hand and the pot is small.

The DEF answer is to think about raising, especially if villain would normally check-raise the turn with flopped trips.

I have no idea what GHI answer would be (call and raise the turn to mimic a slowplayed AQ/KQ?). Higher level thinking is beyond me. But you don't need to worry because it's probably also beyond villain.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
find it hard to believe that most of the lower limit players would simply bet out and not go for a c/r o this flop if they had a Q

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r'ing this flop with a Q would be a very bad play...
Old 08-16-2005, 03:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
find it hard to believe that most of the lower limit players would simply bet out and not go for a c/r o this flop if they had a Q

[/ QUOTE ]

c/r'ing this flop with a Q would be a very bad play...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Needless to say I don't give villian much credit here.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The ABC answer is to just fold the flop. You have a weak hand and the pot is small.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are getting 8.5 to 1. The pot is not really small; it was raised and called by two people preflop. I'd call the pot medium-sized.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 PM

I think the fold is fine, although I think you're probably drawing to 6 outs. Pot's still not big enough to call.

I like calling the flop, and betting the turn if checked to, esp if MP2 also checked, or if he folded on the flop. Sometimes that's enough to scare away a BB who bluffed at the flop. Here, BB bets again into the field after being called by both on the flop, that's a sign of trouble. I'd say he at least has nines.

Sometimes you may want to raise a flop like this as a semi-bluff; if villian is just taking a shot at the flop, he may fold right then, or to a followup bet on the turn. This is not a play I would try without a good read on my opponent, though.

There is also a fine argument for folding the flop, basically that the pot is too small to contest when you may be so far behind.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 PM

i like how it was played. and would fold the turn.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:08 AM

Paired flops are special.

1. With overcards you are typically way ahead or way behind.
2. It's impossible to get action from most players on them.
3. at .5/1 people with a pocket pair will play pretty fast most of the time.
4. You will see flopped boats from time to time.

With all this in mind I think I have been playing them all wrong. Here is my new thinking. This of course is default play. Adjust for table texture and reads as usual.

If the pot is not "big" just fold unless you have a 4 strait/flush.

If the pot is big, raise or checkraise with overcards (one of them must be an ace) and hope to spike your pair. Try to get the pot heads up, or plain buy it on the flop.

If you pair the low end of the board be very cautious. If it's a 9, you might be good. A 5 is in serious danger of someone pairing a higher hole card or getting counterfitted.

-D
Old 08-17-2005, 08:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The DEF answer is to think about raising, especially if villain would normally check-raise the turn with flopped trips.

I have no idea what GHI answer would be (call and raise the turn to mimic a slowplayed AQ/KQ?). Higher level thinking is beyond me. But you don't need to worry because it's probably also beyond villain.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aaron-I folded the turn because I was trying to play DEF but when the turn missed I knew that I did not have the info needed to play with these guys DEF. I guess I played it C+ or D-.

All the responses were helpful and seem to tell me that this play is read dependent. I did not have those reads. Am I wrong?