Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 02:35 PM

Default Re: is this a wise investment?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope your children have birth defects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally uncalled for. This isn't RGP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Money ruins friendships. I'd ship 'em to InstantBankroll.com myself. If you sign up as a referrer, you still get $50 or something for the referral.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope your children have birth defects.

[/ QUOTE ]

Totally uncalled for. This isn't RGP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

Money ruins friendships. I'd ship 'em to InstantBankroll.com myself. If you sign up as a referrer, you still get $50 or something for the referral.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, apparently my response to Greg J is being interpreted as mean-spirited. I'm sorry, I didn't intend to be mean really, its just a joke from the STT forum. There's this guy at the 55s I believe who, whenever you lay a bad beat on him that knocks him out of the tournament, says either "I hope you get cancer" or "I hope you get AIDS". I've also seen "I hope your children have birth defects." I find that funny.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

These guys are very proud, and determined to get better at poker. They will almost surely play their best. Still, I am completely prepared to lose the entire stake.

[/ QUOTE ]
As many have already said, just tell your friends to grow a pair and risk their own $100 or try instant bankroll. These "determined"-"math" types should have no problem beating the soft micro-limit games.

You've said that you're friends. What's the motivation to profit from their play? The best advice you can give them is read SSH and to point them to some of the threads on building a bankroll in the micros.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

These guys are very proud, and determined to get better at poker. They will almost surely play their best. Still, I am completely prepared to lose the entire stake.

[/ QUOTE ]
As many have already said, just tell your friends to grow a pair and risk their own $100 or try instant bankroll. These "determined"-"math" types should have no problem beating the soft micro-limit games.

You've said that you're friends. What's the motivation to profit from their play? The best advice you can give them is read SSH and to point them to some of the threads on building a bankroll in the micros.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that reading SSH and some good threads here is solid advice. My motivation is that I think it will be fun. We will make money together, and play poker together, and talk poker together.

It seems most people that have responded have some sort of moral qualms about making money off of their friends. When you put it like that, it does sounds bad. But I'm not exploiting them. Both parties are excited and willing to do this. It's a business venture, and we're splitting different parts of it. I assume the risk, they take on the time and work.

Instantbankroll sounds like a great idea, and we will definitely take advantage of that. I still think there is space, however, for some staking deals. It just seems like everybody wins here, and I haven't read anything here other than platitudes ("friends and money don't mix") to convince me otherwise. I will not care if they lose the couple hundred dollars. I believe this is a profitable gamble that is sustainable within my current bankroll.

If your friend was an established winning pro who went broke, would you not stake him if you had the money? Would you really just give him the money and hope he makes enough to pay you back some day? I think that's silly.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If your friend was an established winning pro who went broke, would you not stake him if you had the money? Would you really just give him the money and hope he makes enough to pay you back some day? I think that's silly.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a silly statement. Your friends aren't established anythings. Get that red herring out of here. (Besides, an 'established pro' wouldn't get broke unless he's stupid with his bankroll. And if he's stupid with his bankroll, I wouldn't stake him.)

You asked for advice, and you got it. Take it or leave it. You don't need to justify yourself (since it seems you've already decided to do it).
Old 08-05-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It seems most people that have responded have some sort of moral qualms about making money off of their friends. When you put it like that, it does sounds bad. But I'm not exploiting them. Both parties are excited and willing to do this. It's a business venture, and we're splitting different parts of it. I assume the risk, they take on the time and work.

Instantbankroll sounds like a great idea, and we will definitely take advantage of that. I still think there is space, however, for some staking deals. It just seems like everybody wins here, and I haven't read anything here other than platitudes ("friends and money don't mix") to convince me otherwise. I will not care if they lose the couple hundred dollars. I believe this is a profitable gamble that is sustainable within my current bankroll.

[/ QUOTE ]

So go ahead and do it. It sounds like you had your mind made up before posting this and just wanted everyone to tell you what a great idea it was.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:48 PM

Why not start an affiliate account where you get a cut of the MGR, sign them up, give them a little to start with and then hope they eventually wind up playing 12 tables of 30/60 8 hours a day.
Old 08-05-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Heck, my boss is a math pHD and he thinks he is a winning roulette player.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

That made my day, thanks! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-05-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a silly statement. Your friends aren't established anythings. Get that red herring out of here. (Besides, an 'established pro' wouldn't get broke unless he's stupid with his bankroll. And if he's stupid with his bankroll, I wouldn't stake him.)

You asked for advice, and you got it. Take it or leave it. You don't need to justify yourself (since it seems you've already decided to do it).

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, thank you. You and the guy who mentioned instant bankroll are the only ones who offered reasonable specific ideas. I appreciate all the general concerns as well, since I've gotten a good idea of how bad this plan might be just by the sheer volume of negative responses.

As for the so-called red herring, I suspected people might not like that analogy. But think about it for a second. A break even 1/2 player, with the huge overlay of the Party sign-up bonus ($100 for 500 raked hands?!!), will achieve a much greater win rate versus risk than even an excellent higher stakes pro who has no bonus to clear.

So I take it that you wouldn't ever stake someone?
Old 08-05-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So go ahead and do it. It sounds like you had your mind made up before posting this and just wanted everyone to tell you what a great idea it was.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, actually this thread helped me make up my mind, ironic as it seems.