Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 12:18 PM

Default How difficult is 5/10 6-max?

Hey folks,
the last time I played limit was the 0.50/1 ring games [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I only play the 100$ or 200$ NL 6-max games, but I now recognized that I would probably be better suited to limit. I can put opponents on ranges of hands quite good, but that doesnt help in NL when facing massive overbets + I tilt too much.

So how hard is it for someone like me to learn Limit Poker?
Thing is, I got lots of free time the next 2 month and then the decisive phase of school starts. At the moment my BR is at around 6k... I could either grind as much NL as possible and grow my bankroll or try to learn Limit. This of course depends whether I could expect to make maybe 1BB/100 in the 5/10 game starting in 1 month or if it's rather safe to say I would drop 300BB learning the game [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: How difficult is 5/10 6-max?

read here, play 3/6 max to get an idea of where you stand
Old 07-21-2005, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, start at 1/2 or 3/6 (if it's as soft as everyone says it is).
Old 07-21-2005, 12:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMh playing to see where I stand would take me at least 20k hands if not more... If I started Limit I would probably not play for 1-2 weeks at all and read all the threads/learn the math for blind steal and this typical 6-max stuff + I would have to learn all the standard lines for missed AK, JJ against overcards etc...
Old 07-21-2005, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

MMh playing to see where I stand would take me at least 20k hands if not more...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're an aware player and you don't have really bad or good luck (i.e., your play/hands are somewhere in that middle 80%) then you should be able to figure out whether you're a winning 3/6 player in 10k or 15k hands. Not specific win-rate, but enough to know that you are comfortable with the game/can beat it.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:29 PM

Why start playing 5/10 6 max as your first serious limit game? You will proabably get crushed.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're an aware player and you don't have really bad or good luck (i.e., your play/hands are somewhere in that middle 80%) then you should be able to figure out whether you're a winning 3/6 player in 10k or 15k hands. Not specific win-rate, but enough to know that you are comfortable with the game/can beat it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont need to play 15k hands to know that I probably couldnt beat that game right now [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I just dont have enough limit experience. Thats why I want to know how long you think it would take someone to learn limit poker from scratch who already knows how to play a decent nl game?
Probably its nearly impossible to answer that, but it is very important to me to have some idea how long it would take.

Thats because I have only 2 month until school starts again. I want to make some money in these 2 month, but something like 0.5BB/100 in the 5/10 game would be enough. If you say I need 10 years to get that good, then I would just go on grinding NL [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 12:46 PM

It sounds like you've already convinced yourself to jump into the 5/10. Take a shot at it, if you get smacked around, drop to 3/6, if you get smacked around there, drop to 1/2 or go back to NL.

If you would say that, at worst, you are a break-even player at 5/10, remember that you may still go on a nasty downslide right as you start and drop over 100BBs. In one session. Or you could go on an upswing, who knows. But I think the volatility of the game, your BR, and your risk tolerance (safe money at NL v. unknown 5/10) are much more important considerations than whether you're a .001 winner or a 5 winner.
Old 07-21-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tilt too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is a really dangerous tendency for a shorthanded limit player because it is a super swingy game.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:05 PM

i think you're underestimating the differences between limit and no limit poker. (fwiw, i play both.)

i wouldn't jump into 5/10. would it really hurt to play a few thousand hands of 1/2 and 3/6 until you're confident you're a winning limit player?

you say you don't need 15k hands to know... limit poker is much more swingy than no limit. it really does take 10k-15k hands for someone to know if he's a winner at some limit, and even then he doesn't really know, he's just pretty confident.

hand reading skills do transfer, but betting your hand well is very different in limit than no limit.

good luck. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]