Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: What good are we? As poker players, are we socially responsible?

[ QUOTE ]
And oh yes, don't let me forget, the would the world be better off if more man hours would be devoted poker as opposed to something else line. You say no, and yet wouldn't that depend on what the something else the manhours were going toward? I'm sure, for example, there are a few tens of thousands of manhours in this country spent on committing spousal abuse, I'd much rather see those manhours spent on poker, but hey, that's just me. Or, wait, was the question not whether poker is good, but whether it is the maximum good we could find for the time...well hell what activity passes that test?

[/ QUOTE ]

I just had a funny thought. The more money the good poker players take from the bad poker players, the more the bad poker players have to work to regain that money. So if good poker players win at a rate higher than the bad poker players make working, the bad poker players have to become more productive members of society. Since there are only something like 5-10% of players that are pro, the pros are increasing the productivity of the player pool several times over [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]