Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 09:48 AM

Default 20/40 AQ river

CO is new to the table and unknown at this time

SB is pretty passive, i wouldnt go as far as to call him tight, but hes far from loose, probably like 25/5 or something(i actually dont recall ever seeing him raise preflop, but he might have while i wasnt paying attention so maybe 25/0, i dont know), anyway, he will chase some [censored], but not some straight dumb-ass [censored], he is perfectly sane as far as i can tell, also when he bets or raises it is generally on fairly strong values.

DeathDonkey ended up busting him later with a sweet 1-outter at the main table [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

oceans 11 20/40 - 7 handed

folds to CO who limps, folds to SB who completes, i raise in BB with AQo

flop:
Q52(possibly a two-flush of some sort, but i dont remember and it dosent really matter too much

SB checks, i bet, CO folds.

turn:

check, bet, call

river:

SB bets, i raise, SB 3-bets, i fold.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:29 AM

Default Re: 20/40 AQ river

When I play a hand like this against someone whos been playing 25/0-5/1 I usually just call the river. Didn't you say his bets or raises have fairly strong values too? It looks like he called with something like 34 or A4 and tripped up on the river. I don't see any weaker hands that he'll bet with that you can raise for value.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:44 AM

Nice hand.

- Jim
Old 12-30-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
also when he bets or raises it is generally on fairly strong values.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just can't see him playing a Q like this and it seems really out of line for him to play a 5 or 2 this way. If he had a Q and thought he had kicker trouble, I think he just check calls the river.

Once he bets into you on the river, I think calling becomes the right play as it is likely enough that he called w/A4 or maybe even took a weird line w/A3.

If this player was more aggro I'd say raising the river has more merit
Old 12-30-2005, 07:27 PM

Ya that guy has a great image cuz all the retarded regulars in the game think he is a LAG and give him action but really he is just a loose passive fish with an accent and good table talk. I just call river.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-31-2005, 02:02 AM

I'd like to hear about that one outer.
Old 12-31-2005, 03:59 AM

I opened with 44 7 handed and he smoothcalled in the SB with QQ and the BB came along too. Flop was Q42 and he bet / 3 bet me and I called his 3 bet planning to raise the turn. Turn was the case 4 and we went 9 bets or so until he was allin.

-DeathDonkey
Old 12-31-2005, 05:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When I play a hand like this against someone whos been playing 25/0-5/1 I usually just call the river. Didn't you say his bets or raises have fairly strong values too? It looks like he called with something like 34 or A4 and tripped up on the river. I don't see any weaker hands that he'll bet with that you can raise for value.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree with this statement. When a player like this bets the river, they are usually betting becuz they are afraid you will check, so in this situation all you really have is a crying call, this is not a good time to raise.

When I have no read on an opponent, and they bet the river out of nowhere like this, it seems they usually have either a really strong hand or a really weak hand/bluff. Notice in either case with a hand like top pair raising has no value.
Old 12-31-2005, 10:33 AM

Shame he didn't have more chips. Does that hand qualify for some jackpot or does it have to be aces Full?
Old 12-31-2005, 10:40 AM

aces full of tens have to be beat by quads

would have been the second jackpot at the table that night if this one qualified, the very next hand another guy beat 6's full with quad fours too