Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 07:16 PM

Default An AK hand...

Villain is 14/9/2.6

give it to me

Party Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (12.66 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, BB calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (10.33 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">UTG 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (16.33 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.33 BB
Old 12-30-2005, 07:41 PM

Default Re: An AK hand...

How about three betting the flop c/r to possibly knock out either the button or the BB and/or take your free card on the turn.

If capped by UTG on the flop you can easily call down the rest of the hand.

Given the way you played the flop, I think the rest is fine.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:06 PM

I don't know raising the turn is the right play here, if you are going to raise the turn then I think you should probably do it with the intention of folding to a 3-bet as I just don't think you can beat anything here. If an ace hits on the river, maybe, but even if he was on a draw on the flop here, he probably had QJ. I would just call the turn/river here.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:40 PM

even if he has JQ, he got there on the turn. what else do you put this player on? he has a set a lot of the time on the flop, and when he three bets the turn any hope of AT and A9 and JT or whatever it is we were hoping he has, has gone out the window. I think if you're planning on calling down a 3-bet then raising the turn is definitively, not thin, not closely, -EV against this player.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 PM

So you want to raise fold to a 3 on the turn or just call down on the turn?
Old 12-31-2005, 12:41 AM

to be honest I kind of want to fold the flop, but I (suck at poker) would have to fold to the three bet against this guy
Old 12-31-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you want to raise fold to a 3 on the turn or just call down on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call the turn. You might be behind already when you consider the villains range of hands.

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2005, 06:07 AM

PREFLOP: Standard

FLOP: Against 3 opponents, including the button who coldcalled your 3 bet and the BB who called 2 small bets cold, on a T96 board, a board that certainly has helped someone, I would check here. A flop bet by you has no strategic value, since on this board against 3 opponents you are going to have to show down the best hand to win, I would check here and hope the button checks behind.

Given that you bet, and everyone called and the original raiser checkraises for value, you must fold. I know you are getting 17.66-1, but these odds are an illusion. When a logical player checkraises the flop for value it almost always means a monster hand or a monster draw. Well there is no flush draw out there, and based on this guys stats, he doesnt raise QJs utg. So when this guy checkraises here, he is basically flipping over his cards and telling you he has TT or 99 for a flopped set. So you need to fold to this flop checkraise despite the huge pot odds your getting becuz you are already drawing dead.

TURN: Given that you called flop checkraise, I would raise the turn and fold to a 3 bet. I would raise the turn hoping this opponent played the flop illogically with a hand like QQ,JJ or AT. Once the villain 3 bets the turn, it validates what I already knew on the flop, so I can safely fold the turn even though im getting huge odds to call down. Again, in this situation these huge odds you are getting is just an illusion becuz you are drawing dead.

River: Given that you called the turn, I would call the river. The pot is huge, and no human being is sane 100% of the time. Who knows, maybe his call button didnt work so he was forced to use the raise button every time. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-31-2005, 04:55 PM

Fold to the turn 3-bet. He has QJ, 99, or TT here basically always.