Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-30-2005, 04:43 AM

Default 22 in the BB

This is my first hand at this table. I have SB pegged at 32/21/6 over 28 hands from previous experience

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (9 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls.

River: (7 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7 BB
Old 12-30-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: 22 in the BB

Nice hand.

Garland

3-betting pre-flop is an option
Old 12-30-2005, 06:55 AM

I favor three-betting preflop here for several reasons. You have position, it puts the pressure of hitting the flop on your opponent, and given the vulnerability of your hand (assuming you don't flop a set) you would like your opponent to fold on the flop or turn. If you just call preflop, you know he will bet the flop, and if he is like many players, will also call if you raise to protect your hand (which you hope is still best). This is not necessarily bad for you, but it means it will be tough to protect your hand on the flop.

Just calling preflop and on the flop does set up the possibility of getting him to fold to a turn raise (looks like you were trapping him after hitting a favorable flop) and gets more money in the pot in case he is drawing and misses, but it also gives your opponent a chance to hit one of his (at least) 6 outs, or pick up a draw that adds even more outs for him on the river.

One more advantage to three-betting preflop: as your hand is probably a favorite heads up, you are getting immediate value due to your pot-equity edge. And even if you are not a favorite preflop--e.g., your opponent has a higher pocket pair--you may have given yourself some "psudo-outs". For example, if you opponent has a middling pair like pocket 5s, your reraise preflop may get him to fold if the flop is scary (e.g., AKT).

Finally, three-betting the flop does more to define your opponent's hand. If he continues to come strong in the face of your aggression, there is an increased likelihood you are beat and can more safely fold early in the hand.

On the other hand, by getting an extra two bets in preflop you are giving your opponent better odds to chase you with his overcards if he misses the flop. But I don't think this outweighs the other considerations. What do you think?

OK, sorry for the long post--it's my first one. Aloha!
Old 12-30-2005, 09:27 AM

I think taking control over the pot from the start is very important. I like three-betting the flop a lot. Let your opponent do the thinking! This factor outweighs the "better chase-odds factor".
Old 12-30-2005, 10:08 AM

id 3-bet preflop

the rest is cool, although i dont really like opening myself up to a 3-bet on the turn that i probably have to call against this guy(although your sample size is very small, so i dont really know what im doing if he 3-bets)
Old 12-30-2005, 10:14 AM

This is some very nice analysis. What an excellent first post.

I also favor 3-betting preflop and take control of the hand as soon as possible. Getting villain to fold a better hand when the board comes AKJ is a strong argument for 3-betting and when villain holds a broadway hand he can do little more than check call when he misses the flop. However when we're up against a good aggressive HU player it may be best to play passively and call down.

An argument against 3-betting is when we want to punish the type of player who will autobet the flop and turn with nothing. We call, call, then raise the turn to punish their autobets. Against someone who will think before betting its best to 3-bet right away and extract value.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:39 AM

Of course in my post I meant "I like three-betting PREFLOP a lot"..... I hope everyone understood that!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:35 PM

I have a few problems with some of your points...

1. This pot is very small. Our opponent calling with a 6 outer on the turn is hardly worth losing sleep over.

2. Instead of 3-betting preflop and betting the flop, you could call preflop and raise any flop. Now this pressure to hit the flop that you claim is on you if you don't 3-bet preflop is on him for the same price. On many flops this will induce some ace high calldowns too which are great for your hand.