Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-29-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Ace High hands...

Hand 1 -----------------------------------------

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: (5.66 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls.

Turn: (3.83 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.83 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Hand 3 --------------------------------------------

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP calls.

River: (5.75 BB) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
MP checks, Hero checks.

Hand 4 -------------------------------------

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

Flop: (6 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (4 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

River: (4 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

I know reads help. Just pretend though. (I took hand 2 out. I mauled it so bad I don't need comments)

Krishan
Old 12-29-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Ace High hands...

Hey bro.

Hand 1: My default against an unknown player is to bet/fold here. I will take your line if I expect to get bluff or semibluff raised frequently on the turn and/or my image is pretty bad. Here, you didn't provide any read that said your opponent was capable of this. Additionally, the 7 doesn't seem like a card that would introduce draws for him to semibluff. A T, for example, might cause some semibluffs.

Hand 2: As in hand 1, my default is to bet/fold the turn unless I expect to be checkraise very frequently. If this is not true, I think getting value from gutshot or overcard peels and protecting your hand has a higher EV than calling a river bet.

Hand 3: pretty much same thing with regards to turn check. I dont know if we can help you much with these spots unless you have some sort of read. The river bet seems close. his hand does look like a weak ace, but A9, AQ/AK, 22, 47 and hands like that are still possible. I would probably check because not all guys are good enough to value bet those weak pairs. If you think he pays off with big kings then definitely bet.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: My default against an unknown player is to bet/fold here. I will take your line if I expect to get bluff or semibluff raised frequently on the turn and/or my image is pretty bad. Here, you didn't provide any read that said your opponent was capable of this. Additionally, the 7 doesn't seem like a card that would introduce draws for him to semibluff. A T, for example, might cause some semibluffs.

[/ QUOTE ]
While my thinking is generally similar to this, I'd like to add that I think when you check the turn he's betting it very often on a board as bluff friendly as this one. So, I think check-calling is a decent play against any opponent who's not too passive. On the river, its pretty tough to get a feel for which guys will fire two bullets and which guys will give up when you call the turn so I tend to just call a river bet now and then in spots similar to this, folding most of the time.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
On the river, its pretty tough to get a feel for which guys will fire two bullets and which guys will give up when you call the turn

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, this is also one of those spots where passives sometimes change character as it is a very bluff friendly situation. And if he decides to bluff on the turn he will almost always fire on the river also, as opposed to some more aggressive opponents who figure if you call the turn, you are very likely to go to showdown so they give up on the river.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And if he decides to bluff on the turn he will almost always fire on the river also, as opposed to some more aggressive opponents who figure if you call the turn, you are very likely to go to showdown so they give up on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yea see this is why I have trouble with these spots. I have absolutely no idea what leads you to believe the statements above or why they should be true.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:23 PM

1) Depends. Sometimes I bet / fold. Sometimes I call down.
2) Good
3) I might be a nancy, but the value bet seems slim at best. Depends on your man. Default I'd check behind.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:38 PM

Hi Krishan,

What limits? I play lower limits on party and my experience is that many, many players will call the flop but fold the turn. So if it's heads up on the flop and on the turn I fire the second barrell just about 100% of the time, unless I have a read that this is dangerous (e.g. aggressive semi-bluffer), OR I think that the other player is a habitual bluffer who will bluff both turn and river.

It looks like you are rarely betting again on the turn with these hands.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What limits?

[/ QUOTE ]
Mid-High Stakes Shorthanded is for 10/20 and up.