Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

View Poll Results: pick
scarlett johansson 159 59.33%
rachel mcadams 109 40.67%
Voters: 268. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2005, 10:32 PM

Default Re: MLG: Evolving

Any Step 1s who have found their way to 2+2 forums have generally done so after reading about 2+2 on the back of a poker book they've read (dangerous knowledge). The passive Step 1 is sure to think he's a Step 2, the angry Step 1 is sure to think he's a Step 3 or Step 4, the interested Step 1 has probably already moved beyond Step 1, though he may still think of himself as a Newb.

The Step 2s who give in to FPS think of themselves as Step 4s and those who are just trying to "follow the rules" think of themselves as Step 1s.

Step 3s probably have a pretty good chance of recognizing their position. Though many of them will think of themselves as Step 4s and those who are really thoughtful will understand that while they may know the maths, they can't apply them at the table, so they really haven't reached Step 3.

True Step 4s in poker, as in many other walks of live, either think they are Step 5s, or recognize just how much they don't know and humbly categorize themselves as Step 2s.

Step 5s couldn't be bothered with these polls.

In short: 93.2162% of those who answer this poll will place themselves in an inappropriate Step.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

In short: 93.2162% of those who answer this poll will place themselves in an inappropriate Step.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's probably close. I think the ~ 7% of those who answer correctly, are also the same 7% of 2+2ers who are winning players.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 PM

So what step are you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM

All,

Take whatever your answer is and subtract 1.

That is much more likely to be accurate than your initial answer.

Yugoslav
Old 12-21-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
All,

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

What's world champion -1?
Old 12-21-2005, 01:15 AM

Its best to spell it wrld champion. Adds legitimacy to the claim.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:18 AM

I would say I'm on level 3 of a Mini-Step 3 with 8 left & a slightly-below-average stack.

Seriously though I recognize a bit of my level in most of the Steps. I am like a Step 1 passive newb in that I'm sometimes too ready to tell myself that I understand the advice of good players...while in reality I am sure I often don't really understand, or at least don't fully grasp the implications of the advice.

I certainly have a lot of Step 2 in me. One example of this is that I use the ICM without fully understanding the math behind what makes it valid, applicable, & useful. I also haven't done the math that would solidify in my mind, for example, exactly what the table conditions would have to be to limp KQo profitably in EMP at a full table.

I have a good amount of Step 3 in me, definitely. I think about opponents' likely ranges & routinely make EV calculations based on those ranges. I am indeed a winning player, although in the pantheon of winning players I rank pretty low.

I do think I also have a bit of Steps 4 and 5 in me as well. I think about how a bet or a check on the turn might influence whether my opponent calls or bets on the river. I try to take into account things like how big I want the pot to be on the river when deciding on a flop bet size. I do also think about meta issues like how the way I've been playing has shaped my image, and I try to adjust my lines & calling/raising standards based on such perceptions. However, my ability to understand and apply these kinds of thinking in real time is pretty limited at this point.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
All,

Yugoslav

[/ QUOTE ]

What's world champion -1?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Ok...I don't mind this answer. But, I mean, sometimes you can answer differently depending...like sometimes I'd answer 3, sometimes 6, sometimes 15....but right. Okay, so obviously the answer is wrld champion....ok....and there is only 1....so that means wrld champion - 1...well, right, it would be curtains - 1. So, generally I fold this early in answering a question but since SNGPT gives us +.4% EV I don't think you can pass that up so I'd have to say the answer is:

Newt_Buggs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just asked curtains and that's what popped up in my AIM window, [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Old 12-21-2005, 01:20 AM

this is exactly the reason i use trillian isntead of aim
Old 12-21-2005, 01:24 AM

I think I'm a three, but probably are confuzlled from time to time.