Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 12-18-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Stars and Party 500k knockouts

Knocked out of both tourneys early on with similar hands...are these hands not good enough to play? Its early, so i have no reads...

HAND 1
Folded to me in Cutoff w/ A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]...blinds are 15/30 and i raise to 120(1500 behind)...button (covers me)calls, all else fold

flop A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

I bet 200, button raises to 600, and i think and push...button flips over AK...

Hand 2
Both players in hand have 1500 as do I. UTG +1 raises to 60, i call with K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in middle position, as does button.

flop K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG+1 bets 120, i call, and button raises to 300. UTG+1 thinks and calls...I reraise all in, the button calls, and UTG+1 folds...once again lose to AK

SO are these two hands not strong enough to play? Or the better question is, at what point do you drop either hand? Thanks for responses.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: Stars and Party 500k knockouts

Is there not a PP 500K thread? I don't see one.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:32 PM

1)
Raise less preflop, no reason to commit too much. Many (including myself) would call with AK like villain, so you've got an easy fold after he reraises you so heavily... What hands are you beating here?

2)
Fold preflop, no reason to play sucker hands this early in this position. You ush into a bet and a raise with top pair crap kicker? Bad bad bad, fold.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:48 PM

top pair? why yes, ill push!! /sarcasm
Old 12-18-2005, 06:54 PM

fold to the raise in the first hand.

the second hand, you can probably fold preflop, but its not TOO horrible to just flat call until you get in the problem of pushing that flop.

After UTG+1 calls the raise of the initial bet, what hands are you beating here? ZYou have to muck there.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:58 PM

Hands like these are the reason that the people on this board can make so much money.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:04 PM

thanks for the insightful commentary Yves.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks for the insightful commentary Yves.

[/ QUOTE ]

use your head - what do you expect to call your push, in each hand, that you beat?
Old 12-18-2005, 07:16 PM

i understand i made mistakes in both hands. My question is where do i drop in either hand. Not sure why you post the first time without anything that helps anyone learn anything new.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i understand i made mistakes in both hands. My question is where do i drop in either hand. Not sure why you post the first time without anything that helps anyone learn anything new.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr Rock:
Yves does this becasue though both hands look rather pretty from an asthetic viewpoint, they are both the equivelent of the Detroit Lions to a real poker player. I have recently learned this the hard way as most of my "problem hand" posts involved hands like KJo or A10s and after reading TPFAP and Harrington Vol. 1 the Math made sense on why these hands will almost always do things like this to you more than you will flop your desired straight. Yves is trying to point out that you made a rookie mistake without coming right out and saying that you spewed your chips like an ATM....I've done it myself pleanty, i know it when i see it.

Run goot