Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting

Old 10-31-2005, 01:50 AM

Default Betting against \"your team\"

Tonight I did something stupid. I bet against the team that I have been rooting for my entire life. This was my first ever sports bet, but I felt strongly that the line was off.

Of course, my team lost AND covered(to make it worse). Watching the game was a sickening experience. I've heard that you shouldn't bet if you are emotionally involved with one of the teams, and now I know why.

Does anyone regularly bet on or against their team?
Old 10-31-2005, 01:58 AM

Default Re: Betting against \"your team\"

you'll probably hear this a lot, but let me be the first to say it:

its a bad idea to let your emotion get in the way of making a logical decision, be it poker or capping or anywhere else in life.

now you can certainly put a value on your own emotions, and sometimes it can be worthwhile to hedge an emotional situation, but if I'm ever doing something like that (betting against a team I really want to win) I really try to ensure that I can't get disappointed with both. I.e. a moneyline bet on the Patriots here for the amount you felt would hedge your emotional involvement... but thats easy to say in hindsight.

More than anything, i just try to keep emotion out of it - if I can't stay emotionally uninvolved, I'll just try to stay away from the game entirely.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:09 AM

Yep it sucks, but fortunately I am 4-2 betting Bills games this year, missing on this one and the Atlanta game. Didn't really have a strong feeling about the Jets or Raiders games so I stayed away from those.
The plus side is that it's somewhat predictable when they're going to show up and when they're going to lay an egg when you've been following them for so long...tonight's effort really surprised me; althought the fact that they choked away the game did not.

Might as well get JP some reps for the rest of the year.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 AM

I was thinking...if I bet against my team on the ML all the time, I wouldn't feel bad if we won or lost [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2005, 05:40 AM

If I didn't bet against Illini football for the better part of the last decade, I don't think I'd be in the black.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:49 AM

i bet against the eagles this week when the line opened at denver -3

i bleed eagle green, but i also enjoy money

in the playoffs however, different story
Old 10-31-2005, 09:43 AM

I can't, won't, and don't ever bet against the Chicago White Sox. I only bet on them when the price is right and there is visible edge. But there is never a situation where I am indifferent to a loss and even when the price looks right to go against them I won't do it. Plenty of other games.

I will bet against the Bears but only if the season is already a lost cause (which is usually!). But now that they have a fighting chance I cannot bet against them. Same goes for my MSU Spartans. I'll fade them if they are done but otherwise I cannot bet against them.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:30 AM

i have bet against the red sox in the playoffs and gone to the game and rooted for them to win.

thats sick.

fwiw, i would be against the red sox every game of the year if it meant more $$$$ for me.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:37 PM

I have never and will never bet against FSU. I am not opposed to saying that someone should bet against them but I just can't do it. I love money but I can always find another game to bet on. As a matter of fact, I bet on the over in the FSU game last week and I found myself rooting for Maryland to score early in the game. I may not do that any more either...
Old 11-05-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking...if I bet against my team on the ML all the time, I wouldn't feel bad if we won or lost [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess you could call this an "emotional hedge". Kinda interesting thinking about emotions in terms of dollars and cents.

I'm betting against my Indianapolis Colts on the moneyline this Monday. I'll gladly kiss my money away if the Colts can win. I'm just trying to decide how much I want to pay to "buy" a Colts victory. I've got 10 units on the Pats, which is twice as much as I've put on any other game this season, so far. Maybe I am getting too emotionally involved.