Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-25-2005, 07:30 PM

Default KK hand. I said I would never do this...

I told myself a while ago, "I will never fold KK preflop at the 100NL level." This hand is from a week ago, I've been thinking about it a lot since.

I haven't seen anything today on the villain, but my notes indicate that he's a likely consistent winner. He is UTG+1, and has around $90.

HAND:
4th hand of my daily session, somewhere in LP with KK. I have $100.

UTG raises to $4. UTG+1 (Villain) calls. 1 more caller. I raise to $25 straight.

UTG folds, Villain reraises to $70, 1 fold, back to me.

WTF? This sure smells of Aces with the LRR, but why in the name of God wouldn't you reraise in such EP? Could it be AK/KK/QQ? Help...
Old 08-25-2005, 07:45 PM

Default Re: KK hand. I said I would never do this...

Seems like a tough situation, but this is more of a judgemental decision. I wouldnt recommend folding kings here because there is enough level of doubt. AKs and QQ could be played like this by a player not too bright.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:44 PM

Looks like he's trying 'second hand low' on you. It's from Cloutier's book where you just call the first raise hoping someone will reraise behind. When the action comes back around they repop and get you thinking, 'Wouldn't someone with AA have reraised before it got to me?'

I do it once in a blue moon and it's great move if somone at the table's steaming.
Old 08-25-2005, 08:48 PM

good fold.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:42 PM

At that time with villain being unknown people could say it was perhaps a too tight fold.

Now that you know he's a winning player, it is very unlikely he had anything other than Aces here (except for the rare possibility he also had Kings).

Its always a judgement call, but there are certain situations based on your reads when you know your kings are toast, particularly online where players tend to be fairly tight with the hands they push preflop.

That said, I highly doubt calling a preflop all in everytime this happened and you had pocket Kings would lose you much money.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I told myself a while ago, "I will never fold KK preflop at the 100NL level."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like it.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:37 PM

When this LRR happens, its always aces from my experience, if you've read skylansky's torunament poker then you will recall that he was disappointed in good players who were not able to fold kings in this situiaton in the WSOP.
Noah
Old 08-25-2005, 11:00 PM

Why does a good player re-raise to $70 when you have $100, hes better off cold calling the $25 and pushing the flop, that said, lrr could easily be aces.
Old 08-26-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why does a good player re-raise to $70 when you have $100, hes better off cold calling the $25 and pushing the flop, that said, lrr could easily be aces.

[/ QUOTE ]

becausue if his opponent is willing to call the 70 then hes just going to push it all in right there anyway. and thats exactly what villain wants. makes it opponent think he is taking the iniative by ptting villain all in perhaps
Old 08-26-2005, 03:23 AM

why r u making such a ridiculous raise pf? unknowns at party are getting called here, unknowns at stars i am folding to and asking myself why in the world did u put in 25bb with the intention of folding if reraised.