Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-20-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Bottom Set Heads-Up

Hey folks,

I thought this was kind of interesting for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm interested to know how many of you defend your big blind here, particularly considering this is not an easy hand to play post-flop.
2. What line do people like on the flop?
3. Should I have gone deeper on the river?

Villain in question was a bit on the wild side, if I recall. Think like 38/15/1.7 or something (I'm concocting those from memory, just to give some numbers to the read).

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Deranged is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $5.
<font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO (poster) raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Deranged calls.

Flop: (4.40 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Deranged checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Deranged calls.

Turn: (5.20 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Deranged checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Deranged caps</font>, CO calls.

River: (13.20 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Deranged bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Deranged calls.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Bottom Set Heads-Up

im not folding a pair in the BB in a steal situation for 1 bet

i like the flop, i just did this a minute ago
as far as the river, its tough but i probly keep raising with no straight or flush possible, if hes got a bigger set in this particular situation im paying him off
Old 09-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Against a CO poster who openraises and who I know to be loose &amp; aggressive, I 3-bet preflop. Put the pressure on him to make a pair, instead of the pressure being on you to figure out if he did.

And yes, I 3-bet the river. If he's got a better set, good for him.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Against a CO poster who openraises and who I know to be loose &amp; aggressive, I 3-bet preflop. Put the pressure on him to make a pair, instead of the pressure being on you to figure out if he did.

And yes, I 3-bet the river. If he's got a better set, good for him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Harv, I like this... I'll do this next time... It makes the hand much easier to play and we're flipping coins most of the time anyway, so I'm not losing on the bet usually.
Old 09-20-2005, 05:56 PM

1. Against this Opponent, I'd probably fold this in the BB, its very hard to know where your at in the hand, if you don't flop a set, against a tighter player, I'd be more inclined to play this, knowing I could push him off some hand I'm behind.
Edit: I didn't even think about 3 betting the PF, I will agree, it definetly lets you take control of the hand.

2. I think your line on the flop is fine, you're setting him up perfect for checkraise on the turn, while capping it a lot of opp. will back down on a capped flop.

3. Hmm... I haven't decided on this one yet, I have a hard time going farther, but this guy is wild, you've flopped the hand you wanted to flop, its hard not to extract the most from him with your set. The more I think about it, the more I like the b/c.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:13 PM

My general policy has been to call in the BB with all pairs in defense situations, but I've been thinking more about that as there was a thread recently in HUSH where some people advocated folding 22/33 in the BB to a steal.

As for the hand in question I 3-bet this river everytime. This board has no possible straights or flushes and given his LAG nature I expect him to play a wide range of Overpair/two pair type hands this aggresively. Like Harv said above if this guy has a higher set then good for him.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:20 PM

This is exactly how I play it too. I probably 3-bet pf against a TAG too since he was a poster.
Old 09-20-2005, 06:40 PM

I think I play it the same way except I would feel fine capping river. That may not be best play, but this board looks great for any set and if his is higher, oh well.

I really think the three bet is a good idea, as Harv and Jake said. I am not so sure that it always puts the pressure on him to make a pair. I guy this loose might let you play back, and wait to raise the turn, or just go apeshit on the flop.

He is loose and poster, but I figure this guy is going to fight for his post. Wouldn't the three bet work better against someone you know as more timid?