Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-27-2005, 05:26 PM

Default Argument: You do/don\'t catch a cold from being cold

Everyone has heard the phrase "you'd better bundle up so you don't catch a cold." But I've always thought it was a misconception that being cold causes a person to catch a cold.

I recently got into an argument with a friend of mine on this issue. I insisted that the common cold is a virus, and that being exposed to cold air does nothing to infect a person with this virus; therefore, cold air does not cause people to catch cold. My friend said while that may be true, cold air makes people more prone to catching illness, therefore it could be said that cold air indirectly causes people to catch a cold. I had never heard that before and I had no idea how to respond.

So I need some clarification here. Does being exposed to cold air cause a person to catch cold? I'm sure OOT has the answer.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Argument: You do/don\'t catch a cold from being cold

This was on 20/20

You CANNOT catch a cold only from being out in the cold. It was on a special 20/20 where they researched 4 or 5 myths, and they determined you absolutely cannot get a cold from being exposed to cold air.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:31 PM

Not 100%, but I have heard that cold temperatures depress the immune system and allow virus and bacteria that would normally be eliminated by a normal immune system to take hold.

Sounds ok but just call ur Doc and ask him.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:32 PM

The cold virus is everywhere, you can not avoid it but your immune system can handle enough to keep you healthy most of the time, you catch it either when sombody overwhelmes your immune system by handling objects that they handle or when you weaken your immune system by lack of sleep, poor diet or staying out in the cold weather too long then come in to contact with it.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The cold virus is everywhere, you can not avoid it but your immune system can handle enough to keep you healthy most of the time, you catch it either when sombody overwhelmes your immune system by handling objects that they handle or when you weaken your immune system by lack of sleep, poor diet or staying out in the cold weather too long.

[/ QUOTE ]

or if you have aids.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:41 PM

You probably already have all kinds of cold and flu strains in you, as well as all kinds of awful things. That normally doesn't matter, since your body handles them fine unless your immune system is compromised. Being cold can compromise it for some people, if they're already right at the edge. For some others, practically being frozen wouldn't even matter.