Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2004, 03:25 AM

Default Was it correct to fold the turn here?

Let me preface this by saying I think I made the right decision here but it's just one of those "results orienting" things that makes me want to pose the question to my fellow 2+2'ers.

The SB in this hand has commented before that I am a very careful player (he is a good player when he wants to be) and they guy to my left said "damn you are dangerous" for the whole table to hear. why everyone is still in this pot...I don't know. They are FISH!

Bicycle 3/6 Friday Night

Bellzz has A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] UTG+1
UTG (absofreakinglutely the maniac at the table who ALWAYS raises anything) calls, I raise, 2 callers, CO 3-bets, buncha calls, I cap, guy to my left(the guy who thinks I'm dangerous) folds, and everyone else calls.

I think 7 to flop for 30sb.

Suits are unimportant here so I will make up some.

Flop is 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
check, check, maniac bets, I raise, 6 callers.

7 to turn for 44sb

Turn is x[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (so there is a 2 flush but there will be no flush in this hand).

check,check, maniac bets. I call "time" and think for a bit and decide that I'm drawing to 7 outs and I don't even know if my A outs are good. There also is a high probability that there will be a raise behind me thus reducing my odds..eventhough I prolly would STILL have odds to call.
I fold.

turn was raised but no 3-bet or cap.

River was Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

maniac bets and 4 players call.

Maniac show A7o for A high..next player shows x6 for a pair of 6's same for next guy a pair of 6's and the sb shows JT for a pair of T's that take down this enormous pot!

So, I would have won this huge pot but I didn't figure a Q to be a good out and I discounted my A to 1 for a total of 5 outs..maybe 4 if the J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] wouldn't win it for me. Yeah I had 8:1 or 10.5:1 for my call on the turn but I though I REALLY needed the J to win. Furthermore I would be facing calling on the river and possible facing raises.

Ok...live at the Bike I prolly shoulda called since there are a plethora of TERRIBLE players there giving away their money. But I figured I'd get out after 3BB instead of squandering anohter 3-xBB's.

Is this a terrible fold or standard. Yes I usually can count my mistakes every night on 1...or 2.... fingers. This may have been one of them.. Let's see at the beginning of this post I said I made the right decision.. now I don't really think I did.. Anyway.. Any feedback is definitely appreciated.

In any case.. continuing to play solid poker put me a rack ahead at the end of the night.. (rack and 1/2 on saturday YEAH!) It's just that the temperature seemed to rise a bit after this hand. Berate me if you must!

Thanx,

Bellzz

Damnit..I just took a sip outta my beer bottle cigarette ashtray!! that sux! blah!
Old 09-15-2004, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Was it correct to fold the turn here?

hey. i didnt read the whole thread. but what i got out of it was...:

- you hold A [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], the flop comes with a heart, but you're not sure because suits are unimportant?

- you folded a nut flush/nut straight draw in a ginormous pot on the turn?

not good
Old 09-15-2004, 04:58 AM

Huh! I stopped reading when you folded the nut flush draw in a huge pot for one bet. What's going on?

Where did you get 7 outs from? I see four hearts, so there are nine unseen hearts. Maybe value your ace outs as 1 or 1.5 outs total (i.e. spiking an ace will win 1/3 or 1/2 of the time). Know what? Forget the ace outs. 9 outs is 4.7 to 1.

You're getting 22 to 1 on the turn, making a 2-outer worth calling here. Even if you're 100% it will be raised behind you, at worst you'll be something like 10 to 1, better if people call the raiser. I think you still have odds if it's 3-bet back to you. Don't forget the implied odds on the river too.

You seem aware of the pot size and aware of outs & odds, so why did you fold here?
Old 09-15-2004, 08:07 AM

RESET RESET RESET

BAH sorry.. change the hearts to diamonds and the diamonds to hearts.. I didn't have the nut flush draw.. sorry for the confustion.

Jeezz, I ask for feedback and bleep up my own post.. Nice job me!
Old 09-15-2004, 01:04 PM

Well so the big question is if the maniac's actually got a hand or not. If he raises every single hand with nothing you have to play as if you're playing against any two cards right?

So your ace outs are probably good. If you're not sure you can value them at half. Either way, it's a huge pot, don't fold it for one big bet. You've got the gutshot and the ace, and maybe if you end heads up with the maniac the queen outs might mean something.

Big pot and outs for the nut straight. And probably tons of dead money from a maniac. Don't fold!