Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 12:21 AM

Default To raise or not to raise to see the flop.

This is actually a general question. I will post what I did in this situation and it is probably wrong.

So I've been agressive at this table and been showing down good hands..

Bicycle (3/6)

I get dealt 33 UTG +1

UTG limps, I limp, one more person limps.. button raises, SB, BB and UTG call.. For some reason I thought that raising here would be a good play.. (hmm..what do ppl limp re-raise with) still one person to act behind me before the initial raiser, and the pot gets capped and all call.

This is the question...I though it might be right the build up the pot to draw to my 2 outs if I missed the flop..

In general.. is this a good play? Small pocket pair EP.. I could have called and prolly seen the flop for 2 bets.. good to build up a pot to 6x3 or 6x4 or just take the flop at 6x2 SB.

Again this is 3/6 at the bike.. fairly loose.

Bellzz
Old 09-27-2004, 01:06 AM

Default Re: To raise or not to raise to see the flop.

With a small pocket pair in a loose table, you're looking to see the flop cheaply to try to flop a set. Limp-raising here makes no sense. Usually it's done with a big pocket pair at a tight table to get action. Your reasoning of wanting to build a big pot to chase long shots can also justify playing any rag hand the same way. Also by building a big pot you're giving your opponents odds to draw to longshots, making it more likely that you hit your set and still lose. Overall, this play is definately -EV.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I though it might be right the build up the pot to draw to my 2 outs if I missed the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

You have 2 outs, no matter what you do you will not be correct to see the turn w/o a set. DON'T limp reraise 33, it's a bad play. I don;t knwo if you though you could represent AA or KK but at a live 3/6 you can't, end of story. Small pairs rely on implied odds. Limp-reraising preflop is counterproductive to your goal.
Old 09-27-2004, 01:30 AM

*deleted*
Old 09-27-2004, 02:53 AM

Thank you all for your comments.. I knew it was wrong from the get go.. It was 3:30AM and I wanted to get a big pot before going home. I knew it was the wrong thing to do I just though that it may throw some opponents off from my normal play. But why would I do that! I'm going home soon. Anyway.. again.. always trying to improve and elimite the STOOPID mistakes!

Bellzz