Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2005, 03:53 PM

Default Live $1/$2 NL Vegas Ring Game - Set of 9\'s

Live $1/$2 NL $100 max at Imperial Palace.

Stacks:
Hero - (~$170)
Villain - (~$250)
Crazy Eddie - (~$150)

Reads: Villain is a tight-aggressive player having only shown AK, and KK at showdown. Crazy Eddie got his name from our table by continually pushing all-in with low or middle pair. However, several times Crazy Eddie has used this loose-maniac table image to his advantage when he has flopped the nuts...thus, making my read on this particular hand quite problematic.

PRE-FLOP:
Hero 9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] and is the button. Villain raises to $12 and gets four callers including myself, which is why I decide not to raise into the multi-way pot.

FLOP: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG checks, UTG + 1 bets $10. Villain raises to $20. Crazy Eddie cold calls and action is to Hero who only calls. UTG folds. UTG + 1 calls the $10 raise. **NOTE** UTG+1 is also a solid tight aggressive player...I'm slightly worried someone has already made their straight, but I obviously have a hard time laying this one down.

TURN: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
UTG + 1 checks. Villain leads for $50. Crazy Eddie cold calls. Hero calls, UTG + 1 folds.

RIVER: K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Villain pushes all in.
Crazy Eddie calls.
Hero...........................aaarrrgggghhh.....? ???

What street if any should I have pushed? All comments appreciated...I know I slaughtered this hand...this one has haunted me for the last week since returning from Vegas!!

RESULTS IN WHITE:
<font color="white">Hero folds. Villain shows Pocket Aces for a pair of Aces. Crazy Eddie shows AK for a pair of Kings. Hero would have won with the set of 9's...how do I call this [censored] with a flush and straight on the board? </font>
Old 08-01-2005, 03:55 PM

Default Re: Live $1/$2 NL Vegas Ring Game - Set of 9\'s

Raise the flop... it will definitely help define your opponents hands.
Old 08-01-2005, 03:58 PM

Definitely raise that draw heavy flop.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FLOP: Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG checks, UTG + 1 bets $10. Villain raises to $20. Crazy Eddie cold calls and action is to Hero who shoves his stack down their throats

[/ QUOTE ]FYP
Old 08-02-2005, 09:30 AM

Raise the flop man, raise the flop. The stacks aren't deep enough to mess around. The pot is nearly $80 already and you only twice that left in your stack. You've hit your set, are probably ahead and have lots of outs if you aren't.

Time to get the money in I think
Old 08-02-2005, 10:38 AM

I know I'm not adding anything new, but this one hurts me.

You called a $12 raise with pocket 9s, hit the 3rd nuts (though very likely the best hand) and you just call? You can't wait for a flop of 992 with your pocket 9s to go nuts.

There's $78 in the pot by the time it comes around to you, both players have bet very weakly... raise it up to a pot sized bet- Throw in $80 at the minimum. If you think one of them is likely to call with top pair or a draw.... push it.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:30 AM

I would push that flop every day and twice on Sunday. There is $110 in the pot before it gets to you on the flop and you have about $160 left. You have a set of 9s so you need to get your money in. There are too many cards that you hate on the turn to just call here. You obviously hate a heart and any ten, ace or king, because they fill in broadway straights. If the money was deeper you would still raise but might not push, but with only 1.5x the pot left behind, get it in.