Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-04-2002, 05:57 PM

Default A bunch of beginning Hold\'Em questions...

I started playing poker maybe six months ago - - a bunch of friends and I thought it would be a good way to kill a Wednesday evening. Seemed like a decent excuse to drink beer, watch sports and just hang out. Anyways, as I'm apt to do with many things, I got hooked on it. I became enthralled with poker - started to read about it, hit Atlantic City a couple of times, played in some other games, and generally I've been doing ok.

So here I am, six months deep into this game, and I've got more questions than answers. This is normal in anything else, so it must be the same in poker. So I'll post a couple here - they're general questions, I'm just looking for general thoughts.

1. It took me months to realize most of what I learned in books on limit Hold'Em didn't apply completely to No Limit or Pot Limit games (which, low limits that they are, are what I play in sometimes). Any thoughts on good resources for these types of games? I got Brunson's "bible," as I see it referred to, leading to the next question...

2. His section on no-limit play is fascinating, I think, dealing so much with agression and control and looking for opportunities to win big pots. How do you feel about this book? Is it really a good way to play, throwing chips at the table to pick up smaller pots, so when a big gamble comes up it's "paid for already"?

3. What kind of improvement should I be looking for? Are there ways to keep improving when finding games near me and in my bankroll range is difficult?

4. No poker book I've read deals with the fact that you can't win all the time. How often do good players win? I hit six sessions once without losing (most times posting small wins) but I don't know if better players would win more or extend the streak...

All in all, I suppose as much as I love this game I'm looking for general guidance for a beginning player. Aside from books and the Web, I'm not sure where to turn...

Anything helps...Thanks.