Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 12:47 PM

Default Re: Two difficult hands: Is there a lesson to be learned here?

I appreciate everyone's comments. Here are the results and analysis:

Hand 1:
After he bet 25k, I raised all-in with TPTK. He called, and turned over QQ. No T or A came and I was out of the tourney.

Hand 2:
Here I figured that he would continuation bet the flop no matter what he had, and this particular flop was unlikely to help him. I figured that I would represent a pocket pair, since that is often what someone has when they cold-call a raise in-position. My concern was that he might well call me if he also had a pocket pair, but in that case I would still probably have six outs with my overcards. So I pushed. He quickly called, and turned over A7s. I was down to a few hundred chips and was forced out a few hands later.

Analysis: I don't see anything wrong with my postflop play on either hand. There is so little room to maneuver when stacks are this short. There is, of course, the adage never to call off more than 10% of your stack preflop. In both of these cases, I am calling off close to 10% of my stack. My current thought is that having position is not important in this situation. Even when you are calling off 8% of your stack, you are whittling down your stack for difficult decisions post-flop. Perhaps in this situation you need to think carefully about whether raising or folding is preferable to calling.

In hand 1, I know so little about the table and I am so close to cashing, perhaps I just need to fold ATs (since I cannot confidently raise with it). In hand 2, given that the player is a known LAG, I think I need to raise all-in with the AJo. In this case (as well as most cases) he will fold.

Thoughts on this principle?