Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments

Old 11-24-2005, 08:28 AM

Default AQs and push

2nd hand after rebuy period. $10 rebuy. Was this push reckless? I guess TT can assume I wouldn't do this with JJ-AA and make an easy call.

Paradise Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

UTG (t14150)
UTG+1 (t7675)
MP1 (t12935)
MP2 (t3540)
Hero (t5250)
CO (t6800)
Button (t6020)
SB (t15325)
BB (t7225)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of t100.
UTG calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls t200, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t5250</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t6020</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 folds.

Flop: (t11970) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Turn: (t11970) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

River: (t11970) 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: t11970

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qd Ad (high card, ace).
Button has Td Ts (three of a kind, tens).
SB doesn't show.
Outcome: Button wins t11970. </font>
Old 11-24-2005, 08:47 AM

Default Re: AQs and push

Yes, reckless. The call was also reckless.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Yeah his call was reckless but you can't do anything about someone elses play.

The push was pointless. Anything that's going to call you're not winning against. Your stack was okay compared to the blinds.

Threw that one away IMO.
Old 11-24-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The push was pointless. Anything that's going to call you're not winning against. Your stack was okay compared to the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be a good play, but it is not pointless. There is 700 in the pot and I have 5200. I don't mind taking that. I am slightly ahead with pot odds against JJ-22. Obviously if I am dominated I am in trouble, but no one has shown strength. I am representing AK or JJ-QQ, so it is hard for anyone to call without QQ or AK or better. Also right after the rebuy period, I might get a fishy loose call from a pp, but also from a hand I am ahead of.

There may be better ways to play AQs here, but I think the push is EV+. Being called by a pp is EV even and I might provoke some loose fish call with a hand I am ahead of or dominate.

If I pick up the pot 4 times as often as I am called by AK or QQ-AA and am called by a pp the rest of the time, I am ahead.

Probably played that way because just after rebuy period and the play was loose. I was afraid if I raised to 1200 of whatever I would get multiple callers or reraised and it would be hard to know what to do against a reraise, and also hard to tell from the action whether I was ahead on the flop.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:13 PM

Your stack is just too deep for pushing there. You get looked up by mid pairs lot because it just looks so fishy.

If you're afraid of getting lots of callers or getting reraised and having to fold preflop then just limp. AQs plays pretty well multiway.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may not be a good play, but it is not pointless. There is 700 in the pot and I have 5200. I don't mind taking that. I am slightly ahead with pot odds against JJ-22. Obviously if I am dominated I am in trouble, but no one has shown strength. I am representing AK or JJ-QQ, so it is hard for anyone to call without QQ or AK or better. Also right after the rebuy period, I might get a fishy loose call from a pp, but also from a hand I am ahead of.

There may be better ways to play AQs here, but I think the push is EV+. Being called by a pp is EV even and I might provoke some loose fish call with a hand I am ahead of or dominate.

If I pick up the pot 4 times as often as I am called by AK or QQ-AA and am called by a pp the rest of the time, I am ahead.

Probably played that way because just after rebuy period and the play was loose. I was afraid if I raised to 1200 of whatever I would get multiple callers or reraised and it would be hard to know what to do against a reraise, and also hard to tell from the action whether I was ahead on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a raise to t1200 accomplishes this same objective while lowering your risk of ruin. With this raise, you are commiting &lt; 25% but &gt; 20% of your stack, so you arent pot commited. This ill also help your read on such a player that pushes over the top.

If you dont feel that raise will work, I think Id raise more and prepare to get my stack in on most flops.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:22 PM

I agree that the push was reckless and unnecessary. You have about 26BBs and pushing makes you look weak, not wanting a caller. I've often seen this type of move by pairs less than TT, or a weak Ace.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His call wasn't reckless, most of these 26 BB pushes are donks who are scared to play postflop with hands like AK, AQ, or middle pairs. Why would somebody push 26 BBs with AA-QQ?

If I was hero in this hand I'd limp and hope to flop something, raising commits too much of your stack
Old 11-24-2005, 01:01 PM

I'd raise to $800 and be ready to fold if someone came over the top. You are still in decent shape so why risk it all right now. Most of the time a raise to $800 will win the blinds and if it doesn't you can decide what to do depending on the flop. On a flop like this I would probably take one stab at it and then check-fold depending on your read of any other player.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

His call wasn't reckless, most of these 26 BB pushes are donks who are scared to play postflop with hands like AK, AQ, or middle pairs. Why would somebody push 26 BBs with AA-QQ?

If I was hero in this hand I'd limp and hope to flop something, raising commits too much of your stack

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe an overbet push at limpers with JJ-KK would be a good play then.