Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 05-21-2003, 10:06 AM

Default Playing A-little when you hit the A

I played a hand last night that confused me on the correct play. I won the hand, but still think I made the wrong move. On the button in a typical 2-4 online game, I got dealt A-4 Clubs. Three limpers called to me, I called, the blinds both called. Flop comes down A-8-2 rainbow (but none of my clubs). Checked to me, I bet. Both blinds and one of the limpers fold. The turn comes down as a 10, same suit as the 2. Checked to me, I BET. Everyone folded. This is where I think my mistake came, if I bet there, the only people that will call are a better A (a very small chance that a big J will call, but I doubt it). If I check and then make sure to put 1 bet in on the river, isn't this a better move? I can induce a bluff from a J, and if not, people might call me down expecting me to be bluffing. Opinions good and bad welcomed
Old 05-21-2003, 10:10 AM

Default Re: Playing A-little when you hit the A

Personally I would have been happy to take down what was there rather than give someone a free one. You were in a tough spot to begin with and it worked out well. A guy may have been sitting there with 2,k suited or something and folded when he didn't hit his flush draw or his K for the cheap street.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:21 AM

Your hand is by no means wonderful and all powerful so finding ways to make extra bets with A4 shouldn't be your thought. they checked again, bet and be thankful to take the pot. On the river if you have to play your kicker you have a decision since you flopped the ace and bet both streets and were called on both, you could run into trouble although I'd probably still bet.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:29 AM

I would have played it the exact same way. By betting the turn you have two ways of winning, having the best hand or they will fold. If you get played back at you can fold without hesitation in this game, not two many 2-4 Paradise players check-raise bluff the turn. And weaker hands will call here.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:41 AM

I think this is an easy bet on the turn. You may or may not have the best hand but people at lower limits will easily call you down on tthe flop and sometimes even on the turn with middle or bottom pair or pocket pairs like 99 or 77. The last thing you want to do is give those hands a free card. Much easier to bet the turn, with the possibility of winning right there, then check the showdown.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:47 AM

Your turn bet was a good one. You can't give a free card to several opponents here. IMO this is an easy decision.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:51 AM

I'm afraid you're over-thinking this one. This hand can be played on auto-pilot: Limp, bet, bet, check.