Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-28-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: Was this preflop push with AK too agressive?

There's not much else to say. Given you've got a read to eliminate AA, you're only a significant dog to KK. Every other hand he could have you are either a small dog or a favorite. With your suited cards, you are at worst a 54:46 dog, but you're getting 56:40 odds (maybe fudge slightly down to account for the slim chance he has KK). If he would ever call with a dominated hand here (AQ) then that just helps all the more.

You're 35% to make a pair on the flop about, and the post is offering you 2.6:1 to call, which means calling is a mistake unless you have implied odds, and I'm not sure that you have good implied odds. If an A or a K hits, it will be hard to make money. Plus since you don't know what he's on, if the board comes, say AJ2, AT6, AQ4, A98 and you end up getting a lot of action, you might be a dog in the hand.

A push guarantees you're getting an edge. Yes, you got your money in with the worst of it, but the pf raise was mandatory, and the blinds are now big enough relative to your stack sizes that when reraised it has already become a mistake to throw the hand away, and smooth calling presents its own set of problems in addition to being a -EV call taken on its own.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:54 PM

Still not clear on your read. Even LAG's sometimes have narrow RE-RAISING ranges. If you think he can re-raise PF and call a push with AJ-AQ or if you think he can lay down most pairs to a push re-re-raise, then I like the push. If not, this early and with your stack, call and see a flop in position.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:01 PM

I don't think calling the re-raise preflop is incorrect. You are in position after the flop. If you miss the flop and he bets, then you can throw the hand away and still have 21 big blinds, so you are not in dangerous territory.

I think that, without reads, you have to figure there is a good chance that BB has a pocket pair, in which case you are in a race situation, and I don't know if that is a situation I want to be in preflop at this point in the tournament.