Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar

Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Any workarounds for \"No rooms left at poker rate, sir\"?

I know at the Trop you have to book a poker rate through the poker room. If you try through the hotel you won't get anything. They always tell me to book it a month in advance, because they have a limited number, but that can vary.

I'd give up on the 800 number and call the poker rooms directly. BTW I'm pretty sure you need to have played in the poker room previously to get the poker rate.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow r u saying that you can just ask a floor to adjust your room (assmuming you play a lot), and when they call up to the reservation desk to make the adjustment, they don't catch the fact that you didn't get a room at the 'poker rate' initially? (which i figured was a prerequisite to getting the downward adjustment)

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had places in Vegas tell me to just book thru normal rate and talk to the floor when you get to town. Other places will book the room rate in advance. So yes they can adjust it for you.

Mike
Old 12-21-2005, 04:35 AM

If it's at the Taj or Tropicana there are ways around it...especially around this time of the year --minus holidays. There are railbirds on the lowside that are pros in getting rooms when it's "sold out".

I've had good experiences with Stephanie and Nene at the trop. Try greasing them for $10-20 bucks. Give it to them BEFORE you get the room. You won't have the opportunity to tip them if the rooms are "sold out". By doing this, they will also bump you up to the top of the waiting list if the rooms really do happen to be sold out. Hopefully, sharing this information won't cause an increase in greasing to "outbid" each other.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:31 PM

Yes - At the Borg they don't call reservations, they just do it on the computer there.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:42 PM

Bet the pass line and take the odds. Half an hour at the craps table, playing like a maniac, and your room rate will shrink like Tom Cruise's test scores at a Mensa Convention.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:32 PM

At the Borgata the booking at regular rate and get it adjusted later thing no longer works as they figured it out.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:25 PM

I don't know how things work in A.C. but this is how I've seen things done in other places. If they tell you there are no rooms left in the "poker block" get a room at the rack rate and before you leave talk with the poker mgr or floor and ask them to switch it to the poker rate. If you've put in the required hours for the rate there should be no problems.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:57 PM

Just to confirm what other folks are saying:

I had the "book at regular rate, adjust as checkout" done this past Saturday at the Borg at the recommendation of the room manager. They said that the front desk doesn't usually check to see if the room was booked at the poker rate, but they will usually call down to the poker room to verify that you played. They also adjusted the room rate directly from the podium on recent Monday night one time. Not sure why they didn't adjust the rate from the podium for the Sat night stay - maybe different folks have different understandings or responsibilities.