Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-16-2005, 02:26 PM

Default Re: Got owned yesterday heads up

I wouldn't say its a bad beat post so much...I just wondered if anyone had recently found a way to confront such an opponent. By the way, is Irie no longer playing on stars or has he just blocked himself from the search so that I cannot harrass him with challenges?

Indy
Old 12-16-2005, 02:41 PM

Generally, I agree with what u guys are saying. I've always taken the approach that if I cannot slow this guy down then I must come over top (even with q9 and such) and gamble. However, before doing this I do attempt to determine if this guy will perhaps let me play some poker instead of pushing.

Indy
Old 12-16-2005, 03:09 PM

indy,

I have no clue what Irie is playing these days...if I had to guess I'd imagine a few HU here and there but mainly $109s at PP...although a 109 regular would know if that was actually the case or not.

Although I know that bringing new life into this world takes up the majority of his time anyway so it could be that is the reason.

Also, if he blocked himself, it certainly wouldn't be just b/c you keep harrassing him, it would be b/c Skipperbob keeps harrassing him without end.

Yugoslav
Old 12-16-2005, 03:09 PM

Well I don't know Irie's s/n to say if I've seen him at the $109s or not. Meh.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well I don't know Irie's s/n to say if I've seen him at the $109s or not. Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "IrieDork"
Old 12-16-2005, 03:42 PM

I just used to see him all the time and now almost never. He used to play just about every Sunday but not anymore. Bringing life into the world? Please don't tell me he's a physician. No wonder he and I fight so much about data analysis (I'm a statistician).

Indy
Old 12-16-2005, 03:58 PM

Play an $11 tourney on party, 75% of people play this way. You just push or fold. Or just do what they do and everytime you are first to act raise.
Old 12-17-2005, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks to dana33, eastbay and others, it appears that a 70/50 push/call strategy is optimal for a 10:1 ratio, and a 60/30 strategy is optimal for a 20:1 ratio

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

is there a link to this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, there is a link. For one good thread, check out dana33's 1st post in the archives. I linked to it in a recent post and in the Heads Up section of my Favorite Threads post.

I agree with you. It seems counter-intuitive to be calling about half the time against a villian playing optimal strategy with the short stack at 10 BBs. That's one reason why the strategy may be not only optimal, but maximal.

The Shadow
Old 12-17-2005, 11:50 AM

Last night I was getting raised almost every hand before the flop. Blinds were 300/600 and I had only 8K and he had like 20K.

You don't have the time or the chips to try to outplay an aggro opponent here. You need to reraise/push with a huge range of hands. But if you let him steal even 1/3 of your chips you're dead.