Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-27-2005, 04:27 PM

Default KTs in a kill pot 5/10@FW

I'm posting this hand for a friend. I think the turn decision is very close, but I'll let the forum decide.

The game is 5-10 w/kill at FW. The table has been fairly loose/passive. There might be only 1-2 good players in the game, and they are UTG and the button in this hand. I have been doing well so far.

In a kill pot, I get K [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] in the CO-1. The kill is UTG+1. UTG folds, kill checks, 2 callers to me, I call, CO calls, button calls, SB folds, BB calls. 7 to the flop.

Flop: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

BB checks, kill bets, 2 MP players call, I call, CO folds, button and BB call. 6 players to the turn for 6.5BB

Turn A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img](K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img])

BB now bets, kill raises, MP's fold, and before I can call, raise, or fold, button says "$60".

What do I do?

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 04:38 PM

Default Re: KTs in a kill pot 5/10@FW

You're drawing to the nuts with odds to call. Raising is an option because it may confuse folks, get you more action when you get there, and that bet may be headed in there anyway. But call.
Old 11-27-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You're drawing to the nuts with odds to call. Raising is an option because it may confuse folks, get you more action when you get there, and that bet may be headed in there anyway. But call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the added information that its gonna be $60 to the river, not the $40? I know you are paying 2 bets than 1, but it could get capped by the original raiser and then its 2 bets and 2 bets to see that river. Also, don't we lose 1 out because the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] might not be good?

Just curious to see if that changes your opinion. I think the added information makes the play tougher, not easier. If I knew the button wouldn't raise, then I think its an easy call, but I'm not so sure in this spot.

Thanks for the response.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 05:19 PM

Easy call. Worse case that you are behind a set you still have plenty of implied odds because backdoor flushes get less respect. Plus, your K outs could be good as well.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:31 PM

In the absolute worse case, 3 way capped to the turn against a set and two pair it is a hair little thin. Any thing short of that, however, and you're in somewhere between good and great shape.
Old 11-27-2005, 05:42 PM

I don't see anybody folding on this turn, so the bets from the field are providing you with ample odds to call for your draw, when you consider whats already in the pot, this call is extremely easy.

The real mistake here was not raising the flop, IMO. Top pair, good kicker, back door flush draw and 3 players behind you that haven't put in money in the pot (assuming I read the post correctly if you raise the flop the c/o, button, and BB all have to call 2 cold).

The turn is an easy call, let the button make it 60. If the other 3 players call and the room has a 4 bet cap, cap it up. If its a 5 bet cap, just call. Here's hoping you hit. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

lf
Old 11-27-2005, 05:44 PM

The turn is a call. Also, I think I'd have raised pre-flop, and then again on the flop.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The turn is a call. Also, I think I'd have raised pre-flop, and then again on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Brett,

When my friend told me about the hand, I also thought that raising the flop was a good idea too. Preflop though, I'm not so sure the raise is warranted because of the 2 callers before you. I'd think you'd want to thin this field pre-flop, and at best, you lose 2 callers. I'm sure the BB, kill, and MP players all come along for the ride. Having said that, you might be right in the preflop raise, because you might buy the button for later streets.

Preflop is much more interesting than I first thought.

Joe
Old 11-27-2005, 06:55 PM

Raise pre-flop.

It makes the rest of the hand play smoother.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-27-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise pre-flop.

It makes the rest of the hand play smoother.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more I think about this hand, the more this makes sense.

Joe