Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 09:38 PM

Default NL cash to tourny

I've been playing 2/4 400 nl on party for the last 3 months. I haven't played a single tourny in that time. I qualified for the Friday Special and I'm just wondering if anyone can give me a quick list of tips in strategy adjustment. I played strictly tournaments before the last 3 months so I'm not a total n00b. Thanks!
Old 05-20-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: NL cash to tourny

Oh well, thought I'd give it a shot. Anyway, good luck to whoever's playin'! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-20-2005, 11:15 PM

The main difference is playing shallow stacks later on. There will be a lot of raises and retaises allin, since allin isn't 100xBB.

You also have to take more account of stack sizes. The way a table plays can change a lot over the course of a tournament. Of course the competition gets more difficult as you go along.

You might want to read "Harringotn on Holdem" and "No Limit Holdem" by McEvoy and Daugherty.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:27 PM

The other thing as that late in the tournament with good players and shallow stacks the play is much tighter, with not much limping and a lot of hands decided before the flop. It is pretty much blinds stealing game.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:20 PM

I've had a lot more sucess in cash than tournaments. But I guess I never read this site while I was in my tournament phase. I realize that you go longer between wins than cash. Are tournaments as profitable in the long run? Tournaments are definitely more fun than cash, but I tend to get pretty mad when I get knocked out. Any thoughts?