Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 05:24 PM

Default Re: Is this unprofessional?

[ QUOTE ]
I recall some guy always turning his back on every all-in in some recent WPT episode and I couldn't help but think that he was behaving like a total jack-ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're referring to that Dutch guy who went heads up with Tuan Lee at the WPT Finals. That guy caught every card under the sun to finish in 2nd... it was sick.

I found his antcis quite annoying as well. Besides, there's only two things I can't stand in life... people who turn their backs during the deal... and the Dutch. This guy pissed me off on both counts.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It would be much worse to tell him he won, when he lost.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that would be cruel. But even more hilarious.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:28 PM

Paul Maxfield isn't Dutch. Would you consider it unprofessional if a fellow player had done the same thing (announcing a false card to the all-in player who isn't looking). One of last year's WSOP minor events on ESPN had someone do that in jest.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Paul Maxfield isn't Dutch. Would you consider it unprofessional if a fellow player had done the same thing (announcing a false card to the all-in player who isn't looking). One of last year's WSOP minor events on ESPN had someone do that in jest.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the first one when James Vogl won. David Chiu did it to one of the players.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 PM

The announcer has no business doing this. First of all the player who just lost doesn't want to hear the stupid TD joking about the hand. Secondly the TD has nothing at stake in the event, whereas the player may be playing for an amount of money that could change his or her life. The TD should not take advantage of this situation to toy with the players emotions. The TD's job is to simply run the tournament, not to interfere with the players emotions.

If the player and the TD are close friends then okay whatever. I still don't condone it, but its at least excusable. I would never even consider doing that in a home game with like a $20 buyin.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 PM

Don't make a show of it yourself, by closing your eyes, if you're can't handle other people making a show of it, with jokes.

By closing his eyes, this player ended any pretense of 'professionalism' for that hand.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM

context man, context. if i knew the TD i would be fine with it. if i didnt i would look at him strangely and not care. it sounds like this guy was brutally shortstacked, and freddy deeb was looking at the board, so the only one "tricked" were the audience and all in guy, who both got a laugh out of it.

rj
Old 09-30-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would never even consider doing that in a home game with like a $20 buyin.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about a $10 buyin? $5?
Old 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was the first one when James Vogl won. David Chiu did it to one of the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

IIRC, the other Asian in the hand was a friend of Chiu's (according to Norm).
Old 09-30-2005, 10:28 PM

Paul Maxfield is British! How dare you call him Dutch! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]