Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 PM

Default Re: lasik recovery time

I had mind done about 4-5 years ago. I was told going in that I would require reading glasses when it was done (I didn't before) I was ready for that tradeoff.

I was one of the few who had no night halos post op. As a matter of fact my vision is better at night than in the day. My vision is not pefect in the day but it is way better than it was. I can easily drive now without glasses. Recently I picked up a pair of progressives anyhow though for playing pxxxx. My distance vision is slightly better with them than without them except at night.

I need reading glasses indoors but in bright sunlight I can read a newspaper perfectly.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:52 PM

Desert Cat, I wish you the best. I hope you're wearing something over your eyes after the surgery so you don't disturb the flap. I'd also consider seeing another surgeon. Good luck.

I saw my doctor today. He wasn't worried. He said people with big pupils are much more likely to suffer halos for a little while and more likely to need 1 touch up after a few months. He also speculated that the topography of my eye wasn't flat yet and that will be measured the next time I see him on the 5th (it will be at different office where they have that equipment). The uneven topography may be why I'm seeing the halos.

Worse case scenario, he says, is I'll need to do it again in 3 months and I'll need glasses for driving at night. We'll see.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is, is it better to find an invididual opthomologist, or would going to one of the big, *expensive* chains, like TLC, be a better idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

I highly highly recommend going to a bigger expensive chain... and I recommend TLC. I had my procedure done at TLC and in addition to going through an extensive preliminary screening to make sure I was a candidate, they also helped me treat my eyes for a minor condition I had that would have affected the surgery, for free, and then reviewed me again a few weeks later.

The $ spent towards my surgery also covered 7 followups after the fact AND the procedure is guaranteed for life, so if my vision degrades naturally they will zap me again to fix it.

Worth every penny. Don't one of your most valuable assets - your eyes - in the hands of some chump charging you $300 bucks.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:32 PM

Lasik is destructive surgery.

My father (who is a eye surgeon in the uk) says you want to be slightly shortsighted before age 40 because your vision will get worse with age, typically yo'll get more longsighted, and actually being slightly shortsighted is perfect because then as you get older you can still use your eyes for many tasks without aid.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lasik is destructive surgery.

My father (who is a eye surgeon in the uk) says you want to be slightly shortsighted before age 40 because your vision will get worse with age, typically yo'll get more longsighted, and actually being slightly shortsighted is perfect because then as you get older you can still use your eyes for many tasks without aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

No. Then things would be blurry up close and far away. Ideally, you want perfect vision up close and far away. LASIK fixes the far away part, and doesn't degrade over time. As people get older, a muscle in the eye that focuses on close objects starts to weaken, and then you can't focus up close as well. This has nothing to do with LASIK, it happens to everyone. The solution to that is either reading glasses, or a new procedure that inserts an artifical muscle into the eye to help it focus. You can achive perfect vision with two surguries in your life.

(btw, you call it longsighted and shortsighted? I've never heard that before... )
Old 11-19-2005, 06:25 AM

I'm not an expert on the subject myself, i'm sure what you're saying is right, maybe there's a caveat though. I was just voicing the opinion of an expert - but my father is always ultra conservative and would be the last person in the world to agree to destructive surgery when the person concerned had 20/20 vision with aid.

I guess from his point of view when you do your best to fix people coming in with degenerative conditions/road accidents/ maybe he can fix it, maybe he cant, and telling someone at 09:50 that they're gonna lose their sight forever in their right eye, then having someone at 10:05 coming in with slight shorsightedness but perfect vision with small lenses asking for optimisation...

Also there's no escaping the small risk (its getting better) that the operation is performed badly, and he feels the risk is just not worth taking.