Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2005, 06:07 AM

Default Re: I can\'t believe Empire Poker is giving people their money!

this is going to turn into horible publicity for online poker.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Therefore if they are to survive they are going to have to somehow switch tactics and attract "small site" type of people and try to build a new loyal base. I think this will be extremly difficult.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, for me the only reasonable path would be to try for some kind of merger with another medium sized player, perhaps Absolute or Paradise, I honestly can't see this happening though.

Mack
Old 10-11-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know how much it costs to run their business a month? Well then why would you make this stupid prediction? There are poker sites that get 100 people a day and still make enough to run. They probably make enough just on the interest from the money in peoples accounts to cover their expenses.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he doesn't then he could look, the information is freely available. Most people are pulling their cash out of Empire so that interest might well dwindle to next to nothing pretty quickly. Maybe you could check your facts before getting a hair up your ass about other people making assumptions.

Mack
Old 10-11-2005, 06:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
seriously what is the deal here. how was this information not public and widespread? this company just became worthless? shouldn't someone be going to jail?

[/ QUOTE ]
Seems obvious that this was a surprise attack by Party. That's why the network outage was unscheduled from the perspective of everyone except the people who actually did it.

I think we all realized that the other shoe was going to drop eventually. But no one knew how or when. Empire has been taking steps to protect themselves (Noble Poker, exclusive affiliate agreements) but there is only so much they could do.

Tradal investors who didn't appreciate the obvious problems are just another kind of fish. I'm not saying the stock is good or bad, but troubled weather was inevitable and obvious.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How do you know that party notified anyone at empire? It seems like if empire had known they would have warned the affilates so they could give their players some kind of preemptive warning+incentive to stay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like multipoker's "reload madness"? I'm a little suspicious of that one.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should be! According to this article (in swedish im afraid) Multipoker knew what was going to happen but couldnt reveal it due to the fact that party is a public traded company and it could affect the stock market.

If multipoker knew in advance there are valid reasons to belive all skins had the same information.

Regards Snow
Old 10-11-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tradal investors who didn't appreciate the obvious problems are just another kind of fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, nice one. The fish! First they hit their one outer, double up and then run to the stock markets and invest on Empire. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 06:49 AM

Breaking news:

Empire fish are migrating to Party!!

Old 10-11-2005, 07:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and some of the 2+2 multi-tablers are cashing-out some decent sized rolls they had on there.

[/ QUOTE ]
This won't be a bad thing in the end - sending a few of the sharks to another pond is good for the fish.
[ QUOTE ]

Have you even considered the possibility that they won't have to give part of the rake back to Party now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that this is true, Party is still supplying the network and cashier - my bet is their monthly bill will stay unchanged.

[ QUOTE ]
it's not the end of the world. And my hunch is that it probably isn't the end of Empire either.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are alot of poker rooms out there living on 1 or 2 tables, Empire is still a big player in the market. The question will be if they can adjust quick enough to make it through. It is always easy to add employees for growth, cutting quickly is a very tough thing.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
8,000 players is a ghost-town??
(I remember when I started playing on pokerstars in Feb, 2003 and thinking how cool it was that they had 1500 players on at the same time during peak hours).

[/ QUOTE ]
I remember playing on Planet Poker, Paradise Poker and Poker Spot back in 2000 when there were only a couple hundred players on during peak hours! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-11-2005, 09:55 AM

well yeah, empire isnt completely worthless but I guess enron isnt either.

this is going to turn into horible publicity for online poker.

Relax Henny Penny.

This is hardly the end of the online poker world. At worse it temporarily displaces a few 2+2ers who will all find new homes. Empire Poker with their 8-9K players are now roughly comparable in size to PokerRoom - are you concerned about their inevitable demise as well?

I'm not 100% certain of what the impact of all of this will be once the dust settles.

More than likely everthing will be business as usual. Changes such as these in an industry this large are inevitable - so hold onto your hat.