Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 05:37 PM

Default Re: $50 bankroll question

If you go to a site like pacific poker you'll get a 25% deposit bonus up front so you'll have $11.50 extra to play with when you sign up. Also if you find someone who already plays there you can get an additional $25 dollars if they refer you.

My coworker referred me and my initial $72 deposit became $115 before I played a hand.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:43 PM

Does Pacific still track bonus requirements as diligently as they have in the past, wink-wink, nudge-nidge...

I hate the long wait for cashouts at Pacific, however soft the games.

JunkHead
Old 11-18-2005, 09:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Pacific still track bonus requirements as diligently as they have in the past, wink-wink, nudge-nidge...

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you referring to cashing out the bonus before clearing it or do you want try to refer your self as a friend?

I'd say both would be a long shot. You don't get the refer a friend bonus for 48 hours because they investigate both accounts for fraud.

They won't let you completely cashout till you clear the bonus by wagering 20x which at NL 10 takes about 1 - 2 months for the scenario i described above where I got both bonuses. I'm almost done clearing mine, probably 2 more weeks.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Pacific

[ QUOTE ]
I hate the long wait for cashouts at Pacific, however soft the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's one of the obvious downsides. (I think my two sentence summary here is unbiased, but feel free to hack away at it if I'm not fully stating the case against Pac.)

Ideally I like to keep a little bit of bankroll there and a lot more elsewhere. When I learn to multitable confidently, I'd also like to play one Pac table and however many others on sites that allow multitabling. Alas, Pac's software seems to be such a memory hog that the times I've tried that (usually with one other table on Party or Absolute), everything bogs down.

However, as long as I'm just learning by moving up the limits and single-tabling, they're not bad. Hence I think they're not a bad choice for the OP either.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Playing nanolimit is a great way to learn solid poker.
I'm still learning, everyday, but atleast I've build a roll of $600 learning.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. It's best to learn lessons while losing $.50 a hand, vice $25 a hand. With $50, I'd start out at .05/.10, get comfortable, learn, move up slightly.

Occasionally take a shot at .25/.50. However, you can still dump $20 in a bad .25/.50 session.

The problem with SnG's is that you can play awesome and still get taken out by some donk and finish just out of the cash. I placed 1/2 in 7 straight, then went on a streak of 10 out of the cash. I still occasionally play a SnG, but I'm just a better cash/ring game player.

Why is everyone in a rush to get to 20/40?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM

I have a $50 Bankroll(almost $60 in 9hrs of playing time) and am playing .05/.10 LHE at pokerstars. How big should I get my bank roll before I consider moving up to .10/.20? I also like to play NLHE, but haven't, yet. Should I mix it up or stay with LHE? Should I stay away from sng's and tourney's for a while?

Thanks
Bill
Old 11-19-2005, 11:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is everyone in a rush to get to 20/40?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'd rather earn enough at the table to live off of rather than maybe on a good day earning enough to tip the dealers and put a few bucks toward gas?

But I agree that working one's way up patiently is worth the effort. Hell, I got depressed yesterday because the back of GSiH says Ed Miller worked his way from beginner to pro in 1.5 years. I've been at it that long and don't have the roll to go above $2/4 live and maybe $1/2 when I feel brave online.

I'm certainly hoping Ed devoted more hours per week as a beginner than I've succeeded in doing!
Old 11-20-2005, 12:15 AM

Bill:

I've always thought this post by (now) Gregatron is excellent:

Building a bankroll
Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 AM

Thanks Aheravi,

That answered a lot of questions. I'm going to try and follow it as close as possible.

Bill