Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 10:34 AM

Default Re: OT: Poker as a temporary/summer job, advice needed

Rumpity Bump.

Thanks for all the advice last night guys. I think, bearing in mind what Howard said, I'll likely try to get an amazing job for this summer -- apply to a few real reaches for internships -- and, if I don't get any of them, it's poker on the go for me.

Is anyone concerned that after only 700 11s/22s, I'm not actually a winning player? This is a concern of mine. I mean, I feel like a winning player, and I feel like I understand all the concepts/strategies we talk about on here. On the other hand, I still have a pretty pitiful sample size, so I'm really just going on hope that I'm applying them correctly =).

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:53 AM

With 700 under your belt, and a 15% ROI, you're very likely a winning player (close to 99%, if your 1/2/3 distribution is even). For answering that specific question, you don't need all that large of a sample (unless your ROI is close to zero).

As far as bankroll, $1000 will give you a sub-1% risk of ruin at the 22s if you don't withdraw. What I'd do if I were you is take $1000 of poker bankroll plus enough to take a relatively austere trip if you were to never play a hand. Then you can upgrade your plans on the fly according to your results -- if you're flexible, there's a lot you can do on the spur of the moment, as long as you're not looking to get into Broadway shows and the like. And if you decide you'd rather just enjoy the scenery, you have that option too.

Can't help you as far as wireless on the road, though; looked into that myself and never really found a satisfactory option if you're not going to be on/near interstates all the time.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's my advice. Have a nice backup plan of taking out a loan for your one month of needed money. If you're going to law school, I'm certain you'll be able to pay it off someday.

And if you don't need the loan, great.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep...what scuba said. Peace of mind is everything.

I started playing SNGs right after lawschool. I still play 20 hrs a week while working my job (i have a low hour job). I make less at poker overall, but there have been some months where my winnings have matched my take home and I blew it on travel and expenses etc...

Life doesnt end post grad...that is up to you and only you can decide where your priorities lie.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rumpity Bump.

Thanks for all the advice last night guys. I think, bearing in mind what Howard said, I'll likely try to get an amazing job for this summer -- apply to a few real reaches for internships -- and, if I don't get any of them, it's poker on the go for me.

Is anyone concerned that after only 700 11s/22s, I'm not actually a winning player? This is a concern of mine. I mean, I feel like a winning player, and I feel like I understand all the concepts/strategies we talk about on here. On the other hand, I still have a pretty pitiful sample size, so I'm really just going on hope that I'm applying them correctly =).

Thanks again for the advice.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is, on a summer trip, you cant count on making your expenses right away. you might be down after 200! or more! you need backup. make some of it before you go...
Old 10-04-2005, 11:30 AM

I'm a travelling man, myself. In all honesty, if I was playing poker ever day or two on the train and relying on that to get me to my next destination, I'd never be able to 'find myself'. All I would be doing is worry about my next set. If you think you can handle it, then I suppose you should go for it.

As for whether you're a winning player, others can comment on that. I haven't even kept track of ROI for the past 6 months, personally. Also, you have quite a bit of time to get some more under your belt to get a better feel for where you stand.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:20 PM

One of these days I am going to write a post "So you want to go pro"

I can explain all of the pitfalls you are likely to encounter as a professional poker player.

Here is a tip: knowing how to play winning poker is only about 50% of the job.

I recomend having lots and lots of $$$$ before doing anything like this.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM

Hey mlagoo
This is somewhat of a tough call for u. I finished my first year of law school last spring, and played poker and traveled all summer. It is true that u can get away with not working your 1L summer but every overachiever I know at least did an unpaid internship at a prosecutors office or something.

You may not be giving up a lot by not working, but there most assuredly is at least a little lost opportunity cost(resume, connections, etc)

I think you should get better at poker during the rest of this school year, and if u can beat the 55's for at least 10 percent and have at least a 5k bankroll then go for it.
Old 10-04-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think you should get better at poker during the rest of this school year

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is sort of the problem. It's possible that I'll have time in the spring, but right now, I really don't feel like I have time to play. Anytime I'm not doing schoolwork, I really feel like I should be hanging out with friends and stuff, which doesn't leave me with a lot of time for poker on the side.

I'm hoping the spring will be a little easier.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:58 PM

post about the travel plans and stuff in OOT
Old 10-04-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you should get better at poker during the rest of this school year

[/ QUOTE ]

Well this is sort of the problem. It's possible that I'll have time in the spring, but right now, I really don't feel like I have time to play. Anytime I'm not doing schoolwork, I really feel like I should be hanging out with friends and stuff, which doesn't leave me with a lot of time for poker on the side.

I'm hoping the spring will be a little easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least for me, law school got harder 1st year spring (my torts and contracts classes were full-year w/ finals in the spring - not to mention the 96 hour footnoting-fest that was the writing competition, thank you ritalin).

Are you plannin on doing anything legal during the summer? while grades are MUCH more important that the job you get, I would advise that you get something to put on your resume to talk about during the interviews before school starts. That said, traveling sounds like a great idea. Get a loan for expenses in case your luck is bad - then, if you win, you can pay it off w/ your spoils.

oh, you'll have enough time to travel after the bar, during x-mas breaks, spring breaks, or just make a few 4-5 day weekends during 3rd year (may i suggest South beach? fun times).