Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 11:15 PM

Default Set Tens, Large pot, Out of SB

4/8 Live game during the middle of the day. Table has a few tricky players. I've seen quite a few bluffs and check raises. Players tend to bet and raise their draws.

Hero is in the SB.

4 limp to Hero who raises with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. The BB and all the limpers call.

FLOP 6 players and 6BB
T [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Q [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

<font color="red"> HERO BETS </font> , 3 players call

Turn 4 players (10 BB)

6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
<font color="red"> HERO BETS </font> 1 limper calls

River 2 players (12 BB)

A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Hero Check, <font color="red"> Villain Bets</font> Hero Calls

My Real question is the flop bet. I'm thinking that I should of C/R ed instead. This was a fairly aggressive table. I thought it might get rasied anyway.

LLL
Old 12-14-2005, 11:57 PM

Default Re: Set Tens, Large pot, Out of SB

I dont see why you call on the end....but whatever.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That check could have induced a bluff, or at least a bet from just a pair of queens or whatever. Villain could also have called earlier with just an ace when he had a gutshot, and now decided to bet when he made top pair.

Remember, we only have to win 1 in 14 tries to break even. Folding that river would be extremely weak.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:07 AM

If we check this river we really can't fold when he bets. The pot is big and our opponent is going to bet tons of stuff here, including stuff like two pair for value and missed draws with a 9 as a bluff.

This is VERY different from betting and folding to a raise (which I also don't think is necessarily right here). Do you see why?
Old 12-15-2005, 12:14 AM

It's possible someone just made Aces up so I don't like bet/folding. I think bet/call is better though so we get called by pair hands that won't bet.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
should of

[/ QUOTE ]

It's should have.

I don't mind a flop check raise if you're sure someone will bet for you, but I don't think it changes the outcome of the hand.

And there's no way I fold the river without some sort of read.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:23 AM

My thought on the river was

"If I bet and he raises, I'm going to vomit in my mouth"
So I c/ced

I Didn't protect my hand on the flop well did I? C/R woulda been the way to go? 2 things kept me from C/Ring

1) I was the PF raiser
2) The flop was all in the playing zone and for some reason that rattled me. I thought someone else would raise early.

LLL
Old 12-15-2005, 12:35 AM

I don't like going for the checkraise here. The board is very coordinated and you don't want it to check through.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:41 AM

After the flop, you don't know where this potential bet from these aggressives is going to come from -- w/o a good read on that, just bet it out. It'll have the same protection factor if an early player raises your bet as when you pop a late position bettor.

You've got a good hand, but it's vulnerable. So be it. Follow through with PF and bet out on your equity and see what follows.

Now, if the button is hyper-aggressive, and the other fellows are kinda passive....
Old 12-15-2005, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is a 12 BB pot. I like the play here. You can't fold to a river bet, since the pot is too big to fold a set. I also like the flop bet since you raised preflop. Going for a check raise might be ok, but tricky since you raised preflop. If you give a free card, that could be worse, plus you won't get an OESD to fold here anyways.