Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2004, 06:56 PM

Default All of the religious posts made me think of this...

"1500 years ago, everybody knew that the earth was the center of the universe.
500 years ago, everybody knew that the earth was flat.
And 15 minutes ago, you knew that people were alone on this planet.
Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."

K (Tommy Lee Jones), Men in Black

~Demitri
Old 08-27-2004, 07:03 PM

Default Re: All of the religious posts made me think of this...

Good thoughts. But, in the interest of accuracy, it's a fallacy that five hundred years ago people thought the earth was flat. All educated people knew it was a globe. The experts at court who didn't agree with Columbus weren't against his plans because they thought he'd fall off the edge. They were against them because they felt (correctly) that he had vastly underestimated the size of the earth.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:31 PM

In fact, an ancient Greek mathematician determined a pretty good estimate of the earth's radius by using trigonometry and simultaneous measurements of shadows at two different locations.

And there was obvious reason to suspect the earth was round, even without math. Look at the shadow on a lunar eclipse.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:30 PM

Even 2000 years ago, there were those who figured the world was round. But there were also those who figured it was flat. Just like today. There is still a flat earth society.

http://www.flat-earth.org/
Old 08-31-2004, 02:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Even 2000 years ago, there were those who figured the world was round. But there were also those who figured it was flat. Just like today. There is still a flat earth society.

http://www.flat-earth.org/

[/ QUOTE ]

This site is great! Read this:

"While the Society is not a "crackpot" group, it is opposed to the fashionable, politically correct Spherical Earth theory, which is expounded every day by so-called "scientists", the media and political leaders. The Society asserts that the Earth is flat and has five sides, that all places in the Universe named Springfield are merely links in higher-dimensional space to one place, and that all assertions are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true false and meaningless in some sense."
Old 08-31-2004, 02:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This site is great! Read this:

"While the Society is not a "crackpot" group, it is opposed to the fashionable, politically correct Spherical Earth theory, which is expounded every day by so-called "scientists", the media and political leaders. The Society asserts that the Earth is flat and has five sides, that all places in the Universe named Springfield are merely links in higher-dimensional space to one place, and that all assertions are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in some sense, and true false and meaningless in some sense."

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. They got it. No one can ever dispute their assertions.