Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2005, 02:54 AM

Default Question Regarding new DSL connection

We're finally going to make the leap to high speed. I'm a computer retard, my wife is fairly literate but doesn't think she'll be able to set up the new connection for multiple computers. We'll have a single IP address, company supplied modem, and a firewall router. Will the ISP be able to detect a second computer? One of her work friends set up a wireless network that worked for several months, then the ISP cut off the second connection. Are there any configurations that will keep the second connection cloaked?
Old 09-17-2005, 03:05 AM

Default Re: Question Regarding new DSL connection

The ISP can't cut off a "second" connection. Your two computers will form what's called a Local Area Network. From that LAN, you'll connect through the router and out to the internet. What you need to do is make sure that your router can provide access for more than 1 computer at a time. If not, you need to buy a switch. If your friend somehow got two public IP addresses, that's a seperate issue that I personally have never heard of.

If you go to Best Buy someone can walk you through it. Also, you might want to browse over at howstuffworks.com and do a little light reading on networks. Good luck.