Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Anyone read How to Win No-Limit Hold\'em Tournaments by McEvoy & Vines?

I've seen this book at Amazon and at bookstores for a few weeks now. It seems like McEvoy has written dozens of tournament books. Is this material new and helpful, or is it a rehash of his earlier work he's done in other books? There are no reviews on Amazon.

Thanks for the help.
Old 08-21-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Anyone read How to Win No-Limit Hold\'em Tournaments by McEvoy & Vines?

Anything that says "McEvoy" means nonsense. Get Harrington on Hold'em I&II and Tournament Poker for Advanced Players if you want to get better at hold'em tourneys.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:08 PM

Default Re: Anyone read How to Win No-Limit Hold\'em Tournaments by McEvoy & Vi

Thanks. I should have stated that I have HOH I&II (only read HOH I so far).

Does everyone else agree with this assesment of McEvoy's books?
Old 08-21-2005, 01:19 PM

Default Re: Anyone read How to Win No-Limit Hold\'em Tournaments by McEvoy & Vines?

I started a post on this a few weeks ago and did not seem to get a response from anyone who actually read the book but more responses on people criticizing McEvoy.

I am curious myself on what is in this book and if it is anything new in content from McEvoy's previous books.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:37 PM

I've read his Championship PL and NL holdem which wasn't bad, but preaches playing like an old-fashioned supertight player from like 15 years ago.

I've got tournament poker starting hands which is pretty good, but it's mostly preflop strategy and some idea how to play post flop, but mostly common sense if you've played much poker.

I got the all around tournament poker book he wrote and it's ok, not great. It contains somethink like 10 different WSOP games in one book so the coverage of each is a bit light. It's more useful for broad strategy than as a play guide. For no limit, there is absolutely nothing in any of McEvoy's books that's not in Hoh 1 and 2.

McEvoy's books (other than the starting hands book) feel a little fluffy to me.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:24 PM

Why is McEvoy writing a book with this title? He has an appalling tournament record and Daniel Negraneau says he is the worst player to ever win the WSOP. McEvoy has averaged less than 100k per year in tournament prizes since 1983. This doesn't take into account his buy in fees, so it isn't too unlikely that he is actually a losing player.

Somehow McEvoy manages to enter a lot of tournaments. Inevitably someone who plays that many events is going to money/win some of them. He's managed to get a lot of book deals and a column in cardplayer somehow, and so people think that he is an important figure in poker. I'm not convinced.
Old 08-21-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is McEvoy writing a book with this title? He has an appalling tournament record

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly why he's writing this book.

He doesn't make any $$$ playing poker.

To the OP, I have read them all, stay away from anything McEvoy writes if you have a basic understanding of NLHE.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 08-21-2005, 09:52 PM

If you wait a while you can pick up extra copies of this book in your local supermarket, it'll be with the toilet paper.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:15 PM

Thanks. I heard his advice in these books is very weak/tight. They also don't seem structured very well.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:54 PM

I just read this book and about the best I can say is that it's better than TJ's crap. It's not a helpful book, though.

Probably the most typical section is where Vines treats us to a few (drum-roll) ACTUAL TOURNAMENT HANDS! One is where he played a pre-flop coinflip for a lot of real money. Woo, how thrilling. Another is where he played some piece of cheese in the SB, flopped a big hand and got all the money in, but then the other guy sucked out. He translates this story into the typical 2+2 lesson of "you should have folded preflop" - in other words, even though he got the money in with a much better hand, God gave him the bad beat as punishment for a preflop mistake, and we should all fold preflop so as to avoid such divine punishment in the future, no matter how badly we can outplay opponents after the flop.

I don't really see a reason to recommend this book to anyone.