Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 05:25 PM

Default AC choices

If you were going to AC on a Wednesday, would you play the 50+15 noon tourney at the Taj and cash games at the Trop or Taj in the evening, or cash games in the afternoon and the 7.15 30+10 at the Trop? Basically, are the cash games better in the afternoon or evening on a weekday?

Also, are there any SnGs in AC aside from the Taj and Harrah's?
Old 07-25-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: AC choices

They charge $15 for a $50 tourney? Is this a pretty typical tournament rake? It sounds awfully steep.

Swede
Old 07-25-2005, 09:53 PM

That's pretty standard tourney juice, at least in AC. The Borg's smaller tourney is a little better in that respect, it's 75+15.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:55 PM

I'd hit the early Taj tourney, then stay there for the cash games later. The blind structure for the tourney is far better than the Trop, and the cash games are always pretty soft.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:50 PM

I'm leaning toward the Taj tourney, since if we play the Trop tourney and meet with success it could keep us there well into the night. (Not that we'd complain about success.) The Taj tourney means being on the road early, though.

Last time we went it was a Friday...hit the Taj tourney, which took up my whole afternoon for $15 profit, then hit the 1-2NL at the Trop after dinner and made $170 in 2 hours. The guys I went with each made about $200 at the Taj while I played the tourney.
Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 AM

Agree..

A 1-2 NL game will always be more profitable/hr than one of these tourneys
Old 07-28-2005, 02:31 AM

We decided on the Taj 12:15, and did not meet with success. 210 players, surprised me for a Wednesday. I was doing OK the first couple levels, then got TT beat by JJ and pulled a sorta tilty steal bluff that blew up in my face. (The tourney ran until 6:30 and 1st paid $4k.)

Retired to the 1-2NL, got on a fresh table, and was up 150 within half an hour. Hit a dead stretch of cards (though still managed the occasional steal) until AA came along. My friend who'd driven me down bet out at me on the flop, and my big re-raise didn't scare him off. Took down a big pot, though it left me on the hook for dinner.

Some good hands, some stealing, and I cashed out after 6 hours +$500.

Had one blind defense gone horribly right: my BB was raised to 12 by the same guy who'd raised at least the previous one and I think the one before as well, so I decided to put my foot down. (Defending blinds probably isn't so essential in a cash game...I just didn't like getting the same raiser and same raise repeatedly...it smelled bad.) So I call with my 84o, planning to bet at whatever flop comes. (Yes, this should just be a waste of money.) I bet 20 or maybe 25 at the raggedy A-high flop, the guy angry-folds his KK face-up and walks off. I show my 84o and the table gasps.

After dinner, some 2-4 (no wait) instead of more 1-2 (wait). A few nice hands early on put me up about 40, but then managed to idiot my way through a parade of the trashiest of trash hands and cashed out down about 50.

Made astoundingly good time back to Brooklyn (2 hours). Tomorrow will be a sleepy day.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:54 AM

Well done. I'm going to learn how to play NL someday.
Old 07-28-2005, 08:22 AM

Heres how I play NL fold fold fold fold fold fold limp fold fold fold fold fold fold fold raise fold fold fold fold fold fold fold