Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 10:23 PM

Default aggression check - 99

Typically loose party table, average vpip > 40%. Both villains in this hand are loose preflop, and typically go too far with their hands postflop. No aggression reads yet although the table has largely been loose-passive.

How's my line in this hand? In particular, do people like the flop raise and the river check?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. UTG posts a blind of $0.5. CO posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls.

Flop: (8.50 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls.

Turn: (6.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls.

River: (8.75 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
MP2 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 8.75 BB
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM

Default Re: aggression check - 99

I like it. I think the river check is fine. This is my advice but my river play also sucks [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Edited for stupidity
Old 04-11-2005, 10:30 PM

Make a note of MP1's bet-fold on the flop. People will often times fire at these flops because they usually will miss everyone. Against this guy, you might want to smooth call the flop and then raise the turn (this is how I will often play this hand). MP2's call would be pretty fishy if he were a solid player, but a LP could be calling here with a ten or a four or soemthing like 66/overs. We would expect him to calldown with a ten and a pocket pair. He will fold overcards on the river and will check/raise us on the turn with trips. So once we get to the river, we have to think about him having a queen, ten or small pocket pair. I would check.

Brad
Old 04-11-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think the river check is fine unless he's the type to bet the flop with nothing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note that the flop bettor folded to my raise -- villain on the river just called the flop.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 PM

I like it. I don't like waiting until the turn with 99 here, I'd be more inclined to do that play with JJ+.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:38 PM

I suck
Thanks for the HU :P
Old 04-11-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Make a note of MP1's bet-fold on the flop. People will often times fire at these flops because they usually will miss everyone. Against this guy, you might want to smooth call the flop and then raise the turn (this is how I will often play this hand).

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an interesting line I hadn't thought of. Does it make a difference that we're not heads-up in this pot?
Old 04-11-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like it. I don't like waiting until the turn with 99 here, I'd be more inclined to do that play with JJ+.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason why we wait for the turn is to see if MP2 wakes up with a hand. So if MP1 bets and gets 2 callers and then it goes bet-raise on a turn blank we can get the hell out of dodge. And if MP2 is a good player, I would ALWAYS just call on this flop. The other reason why we wait (once we figure out he is a known bluffer) is to let him throw his money away.

Brad