Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits

Old 06-22-2004, 08:02 PM

Default Terrible laydown.

I realy thought this was the right call, I thought for sure it would cost be four bucks to show it down.... looking back clearly it was the wrong call.....

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is SB with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button caps</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (13.50 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (16.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">CO bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero folds, CO calls.

Hey look Im a big pussy!

Final Pot: 20.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 20.50 BB, between CO and Button.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Button (20.50 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
CO shows 2h As (two pair, fives and twos).
Button shows Qs Kh (two pair, kings and fives).
Outcome: Button wins 20.50 BB. </font>
Old 06-22-2004, 08:05 PM

Default Re: Terrible laydown.

Oh hi by the way!
Old 06-22-2004, 08:09 PM

Don't lead the turn after your opponent caps the flop. Check call the turn and river.

I think I am folding for two bets on the river too. I really don't think you are ahead of both a bettor and a raisor more than one time in eight, which is needed to make the call profitable.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 PM

I think I would have folded to two bets on the river as well, but if you had bet out on the river like you did on the turn, I suspect it would have just been called down, or at worst you would have had to call one more bet.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:10 PM

oh welcome to the forum btw [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 06-22-2004, 08:15 PM

Do you really think TPTK is good against a flop cap? There are not many hands that he is behind against on the flop, but there are some. I think the action pretty much shows that you are up against one of those. I would not even think about betting the turn or river with TPTK after having the flop capped against me (given I have no note on button that says fool)
Old 06-22-2004, 08:23 PM

Yeah, bad fold. You have TPTK and the pot is huge. You only have to win 10% of these to coldcall. I think you win way more than that.

I will grant you that there were some scary betting patterns going on and if you were playing with solid players then this fold might be ok. But you can't forget how bad some of these players are. Just because the flop gets capped doesn't mean anyone has a good hand or a flush draw. They might be doing it with a mediocre hand thinking that YOU are the one with a flush draw and they want to "charge" you. The button did do a good job representing flush draw then flush though he may not have known it, but you can't give a random player credit for rational thinking until you move up a bit in limits.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you really think TPTK is good against a flop cap? There are not many hands that he is behind against on the flop, but there are some. I think the action pretty much shows that you are up against one of those. I would not even think about betting the turn or river with TPTK after having the flop capped against me (given I have no note on button that says fool)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd would indeed be worried that my TPTK was no good, so I would go into check call mode after the flop. However, since he bet the turn, I think he needs to bet the river as well.
Old 06-22-2004, 08:29 PM

However, since he bet the turn, I think he needs to bet the river as well.

Why is that?
Old 06-22-2004, 08:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, since he bet the turn, I think he needs to bet the river as well.

Why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

because showing weakness at the river against aggressive oppponents allows them to bluff you out of the pot. If you're going to be the aggressive player on this hand, then do it all the way. If you're not going to be aggressive all the way, check call after the flop and let the over-aggressive players bet the pot for you.

Both check-calling and betting all the way are both OK strategies here, depending on your playing style, but I think it's a mistake to play it one way on the turn and another way on the river.