Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2003, 01:49 AM

Default Was I on tilt?

In the middle of a somewhat frustrating session, this hand made me wonder if I started being stupid.

Loose, not completely wild, 15-30 game.

A bunch of limpers (I think 4, but maybe 5) to the cutoff. I haven't seen him play holdem before, but I played some stud with him and he struck me as good deal too loose, with a decent helping of aggressiveness. He raises. Button, SB fold. I have Kc5c in the big blind and call. All the limpers call.

Flop: 5d 9c Js

Everyone checks to the raiser. He bets. I raise. Late limper cold-calls, raiser calls.

Turn: [5d 9c Js] 2s

I bet, they both call.

River: [5d 9c Js 2s] 6c

I check, LP checks, raiser bets. I call, LP folds.

Would anyone criticize me if I had check-called the flop and mucked it on the turn? (At the table, I felt like I was making a somewhat standard play, but in retrospect, I started thinking that with J9 on the board, it's too risky.)

Also, should I save the river bet? Or should I bet out just in case one of them will lay down 9sTs or something? (I can't come up with too many other hands).

Oh, BTW, raiser turned over Ah6h and I decided to get some coffee. It ended up being a good session [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 09-12-2003, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Was I on tilt?

Glad it wound up being a winning session, conditions sound like they were favorable [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would not criticize you for check calling and then folding. I don't think it's out of line to think that with the two other callers, someone has you beat, and without picking up another club on the turn, not too many outs.

I don't even think that CR the flop and then check folding the turn is so bad, once you know that those other two guys are 2 bets of interested in the hand.

Maybe this sort of play would later gain you some EV when you actually hold a hand? Maybe I'm not familiar with just how ripe these sorts of 15-30 games are though.

citanul
Old 09-12-2003, 04:49 PM

Default Re: Was I on tilt?

Well, I was pretty sure that the LP player was on a draw, probably QT or T8. I had some respect at the table, so I thought that people would not try to get to the showdown with just a 9.

I was trying to approximately calculate how often I win this pot given this play, and I think it's very close to even money. Maybe I'll try to do a more careful calculation or some simulations when I get a chance.

Haven't seen you post in a while. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-13-2003, 08:49 PM

Default Yes

I could maybe see the flop check-raise. Perhaps.

But...

It was COLD CALLED...

therefore... you can assume that betting the turn is probably NOT going to buy you the pot, since he's calling the same amount, but the pot is now bigger.

The river call was iffy, but I'll allow it because you were the only one keeping the PFR honest.

You were correct to think the J 9 on the flop made your flop semi-bluff check-raise iffy-er than it would have been had the flop been J 5 2 rainbow. I really don't like the flop CRZ that much either. Had you check-called, I would not have been that offended by the matter.

heck, with that PFR in the game, it MUST have been a good game. Interesting post, if a bit tilt-i-fied.

al