Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-29-2005, 09:57 PM

Default Re: Rehauling my play. An early game workshop.

I push 1, 2, and fold 3.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:15 PM

Default Re: Rehauling my play. An early game workshop.

2) Push...your hand does better if it can see 5 cards as opposed to 3. Not to mention that playing this hand out of position sucks. But there is a large number of chips relative to your chip stack in the pot and you have a good hand...so be aggressive in trying to win it.

3) I think folding preflop is totally fine. However, since you've a particular read on your oppoent it could be +EV to call. However, I'm not sure what to make of your read on your opponent. He plays pretty passive (called all 4 times) but doesn't believe his opponents (called flop bets twice only to fold on the turn--tricky?). Well playing AQ out-of-position sucks. It's hard to extract money from a better player even if you hit your hand. So unless he's a total donk, I think folding preflop is best. But I like your flop line.

1) Is a difficult hand...I think that a case could be made for folding, calling or raising.

Case for folding: Just like you the inital caller is a semi-large stack. He called from early position.

Case for calling: There's no need to start putting a large portion of your stack in jeopardy. Keep the pot small and play the hand slower, since you'll have position for the rest of the hand. (The chips in the pot are meaningful to your hand...if you won it would solidify you as the second chip leader).

Case for Raising: Take control of the hand. And if you get reraised you can get away from the hand relatively cheaply.(The chips in the pot are meaningful to your hand...if you won it would solidify you as the second chip leader).

Which one is better? I have no idea. But I like raising to 350. Your opponent has a semi-large stack but should recognize that you're one of two stacks that can bust him. I put him on a middle pair and I think he'll probably release it. The extra $250 chips are worth the risk, IMO.