Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-25-2005, 09:36 PM

Default Tip for driving in the mountains...

Tip 1 - Don't be a douche.

If you're driving on a 2-lane highway and you have a line of cars behind you waiting to pass...

pull the [censored] over and let them pass. Even if you are doing 5 over. No one behind you cares that you're speeding just a little.

It absolutely astounds me the number of people who drive in the mountains and are completely oblivious to the rules of the road when driving outside the city.

Tip 2 - Don't be a douche.

If you're coming down the hill on a single-lane road and someone is coming up, you have to yield to them. It's your responsibility to back up and let them pass.

Tip 3 - Don't be a douche.

If someone goes to pass you on a two-lane road, slow down and let them by. If you speed up when they're beside you, you deserve to die.

Tip 4 - Have a merry Christmas...

Unless you were that [censored] on Berthoud Pass today.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Tip for driving in the mountains...

yeah, berthoud pass not the best place for douche drivers.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:04 AM

these aren't entirely intuitive....
#2 I wouldn't know what to do, but if I was in either side I'd probably be the wuss pulling over to the side.

#3 sometimes you get slightly distracted and drift down in speed so when you realize you are going too slow you speed up (however I'd always slow down and let them pass).

for #1, are you supposed to pull over and stop EVERY time two guys get close behind you (I'm not this guy either, I'd be going fast).

You should learn to calm down and realize getting wherever you have to go 10 minutes earlier isn't that big a deal =p
Old 12-26-2005, 01:40 AM

Ah yes, assholes on the Passes, always fun. Reminds me of a few years ago when I was taking Rabbit Ears Pass during a snowstorm. I was moving along okay and caught up to a car in front of me going kind of slow, no big deal as I wasn't in a rush. After following him for a little while up to the top of the pass a couple SUVs came up pretty fast on us and both he and I pulled over to let them pass at the next reasonable spot, where I also passed the slower car. Starting down the pass, around the first sharp left corner, what do I find, but one of the SUVs has lost control and lodged himself in the snowbank on the other side of the road. I stop and get out to make sure everyone is ok. Turns out these two vehicles are together and inside of each is a family from Puerto Rico. The driver then says to me, "Gee, we don't have to drive in this stuff in PR." And here I was thinking that these guys are flying because they know the roads and the conditions well, what an idiot I am. About this time a plow comes by and luckily has a chain so we can pull the guy out. I took off before they were back on the road and surprisingly they didn't catch up to me again.
Old 12-26-2005, 02:35 AM

Tip 5 - Don't fall off
Old 12-26-2005, 03:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If you're driving on a 2-lane highway and you have a line of cars behind you waiting to pass...

pull the [censored] over and let them pass. Even if you are doing 5 over. No one behind you cares that you're speeding just a little.

[/ QUOTE ]
I call [censored], if you're doing five over you owe them dick.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I call [censored], if you're doing five over you owe them dick.

[/ QUOTE ]

It takes < 1 minute to pull over and let them by. When there are multiple drivers stuck behind your slow ass pulling over will save them >>>1 min. Don't be a dick, just let them by.
Old 12-26-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Tip 1 - Don't be a douche.

It absolutely astounds me the number of people who drive in the mountains and are completely oblivious to the rules of the road when driving outside the city.

Tip 2 - Don't be a douche.

If you're coming down the hill on a single-lane road and someone is coming up, you have to yield to them. It's your responsibility to back up and let them pass.

Tip 3 - Don't be a douche.

If someone goes to pass you on a two-lane road, slow down and let them by. If you speed up when they're beside you, you deserve to die.

[/ QUOTE ]

You all are focusing on 1. Tips 2 and 3 have the real content... the behaviors described are rude and possibly dangerous. :P
Old 12-26-2005, 02:54 PM

My opinion is that 5 over is fast enough. I'm definitely not pulling over for someone who's tailgating me.
Old 12-26-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion is that 5 over is fast enough. I'm definitely not pulling over for someone who's tailgating me.

[/ QUOTE ]

why not? just real quick.. and it's done with. it's safer for all parties involved.