Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2005, 02:39 AM

Default Interesting Hands

Hand #1:
Party Poker $50 NL (6 max, 6 handed)
The table is pretty passive preflop.
Stack Sizes:
Villian: $45
Hero: $53

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero calls. UTG+1 calls. 1 fold. SB calls. Villian checks.

Flop: J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Villian bets $2. SB folds. Hero raises to $7. 2 folds. Villian calls.

Turn: T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Villian checks. Hero pushes. (Double belly-buster and flush draw).

Standard?

Hand #2:
Party Poker $50 NL (6 max, 6 handed)
Stacks:
Villian1: $5
Hero: $53
Villian2: $160
Preflop: Hero is SB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. 3 folds. Villian1 raises to $2. Hero raises to $6. Villian2 calls. Villian1 calls and is all-in.

Flop: 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font> Hero bets $12. Villian2 pushes. Hero folds.

Standard fold?

Thanks for any comments.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Interesting Hands

hand #1... i dunno i never really like overbetting the pot in any situation but whatever. I mean you got plenty of outs so what the hell.

hand #2... I'd probably call this one. I know when i get a deep stack at NL50 6 max i start pushing people around. I think you will see AJ here plenty of times. I guess with no read folding is an option but it certainly is close.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:59 AM

Not too much experience short handed. But here goes...

Hand 1. Fold pre-flop. Full ring, I'd want to play this sort of hand in LP with a cpl of other people. If it's folded to me in MP, I'm just going to end up OOP with a junk hand 8 times out of 10.

Call the flop bet. What are you representing with the raise? A set of 4s? If I'm the villain and I have King with a decent kicker, that's all that I'm thinking can beat me here. After you limped pre-flop, I think your fold equity is limited. BTW how does SB fold after villain bets, but before UTG raises?

Turn push is better. Could work and you have outs.

Hand 2. Well played but yeah I fold this. If for no other reason, because I'm going to see his cards anyway [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-25-2005, 05:02 AM

hand one is stupid, obviously fold preflop. If you reaklly feel like playing crap then raise with it and play it, dont limp in utg like a super donkey. If you dont fold preflop then you get to do it on the flop too. These hands are bollocks, dont play em like this or you will lose you br uber quick.

Hand two is lame, call here most of the time. AJ/KJ or some overcards will push here since he is big stack. Obviously he'll have teh set a few times, but your good here more often than not.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:23 AM

Hand 1# don't play that trash UTG.
Hand #2 he has a Jack and thinks his hand is good, call.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience not too many villains will bet $130 into a $25 pot with AJ.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
In my experience not too many villains will bet $130 into a $25 pot with AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's got hero covered. A pot raise puts hero all in, so villain just slides the bar all the way to the right. I do this all the time, betting my entire stack into a 40 pot, because my opponent only threatens as much as I cover.

That being said, I would assume you are ahead in hand one enough times to justify a call. Like The Weatherman said, sometimes he has a set, but most of the time I dont think he does. With that flop, I would except your standard villain to slowplay a flopped set. I put him on AJ, KJ, or AK or some other crap and he thinks he is being clever. I think hand 2 is a call and its not even close.

-Hand 1 is meh, fold preflop. On the flop, raise isnt horrible, villain folds a Jack at least. Turn no reason to push, take the free card you earned. Villain will fire a PSB on the river when you check behind, so if you hit your 8, you can make loads. If you hit your flush you can make loads (I dont think your queen out is clean).
Old 12-25-2005, 11:27 AM

Hand 2. Call me a tight full-ring player but...

If I'm villain, facing a 12xBB reraise, my AJ is mucked pre-flop. My guess is his calling range here is TT+, AK. I'd probably re-raise AA or KK, but not everybody would. If we are getting 2:1, it could be be a thin call. But I'd fold and keep 2/3 of my stack.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:38 AM

I probably would have played the hands the exact opposite of how you played them.

Hand #1 you have to know the villian has something by his bet then call of the re-raise on flop. You have outs, I check behind on turn to see if I hit something.

Hand #2 is a call for me most of the time, depending on how tight villian has been playing.

IMO neither of them are standard. Throwing all your money in when you are a dog to win is not standard for me. Folding the probable best hand is not standard for me. Second hand depends a lot on the player, and I dont fault a call or fold here, which means neither can be standard. Why do people always want to know if something is standard?
Old 12-25-2005, 11:42 AM

hand 1: fold PF. Playing drawing hands OOP is not good. I check this turn- wasn't that one of the reasons you raised the flop?

hand 2: I think you can call this- if he has a set, that sucks, but I think villan will have something like AJ/KJ/TT/etc to make this profitable.