Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 12-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Default 5$ Bubble play is still killing me

My short handed play has really been holding me back as of late. I wondered if you guys knew of any good posts or anything to help me out. Until then would you please take a look at these hands and tell me if I did the right thing? Any help or comments are greatly appreciated. I tried to post the results in white but I am not sure if it is working or not, none the less the results are at the bottom of the page, hopefully in white.

1. PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter

Hero (t2360)
BB (t5030)
Button (t6110)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2335</font>, BB calls t2135.

Flop: (t4520) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t4520) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t4520) 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t4520

<font color="white"> </font> Villian called with A J and I finish thrid yat again.

2.PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter

Hero (t2335)
SB (t5380)
BB (t5785)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
Hero calls t200, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to t625</font>, Hero folds, SB folds.

Final Pot: t975

Should I have push here?

3. PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (3 handed) converter

Hero (t2110)
Button (t4680)
SB (t6710)

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t2110</font>, SB folds.

Final Pot: t2260

Last but not least was this play correct?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:58 PM

Default Re: 5$ Bubble play is still killing me

no one replies to me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 12-22-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
no one replies to me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, it hasn't even been a half hour and you're bumping. Second of all, these plays aren't "on the bubble" -- the bubble refers to when you're at the final four stage. Thirdly, these are all pretty easy decisions (except that I would have open-pushed hand 2) that do not indicate that your shorthanded play is necessarily doing anything to negatively impact your game. Just part of the swings.

Don't be results-oriented. That you lost these hands has nothing to do with the fact that you made good decisions on hands 1 and 3.

Also - read the FAQ THOROUGHLY before posting again.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:05 PM

Pushing the first two = automatic.

The third one, depending on the SB can be automatic or marginal... depends more on the table and opponent.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:08 PM

sorry I don't spend 24/7 learning forum rules. I don't even know WTF a "bump" is. Your a real champ sammy thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:09 PM

ty blue, glad to see someone is trying to help.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:26 PM

A lot of people here will help you, but you owe it to them to put in a little time learning terminology and posting etiquette.

The FAQ at the top of the page lists the rules and posting etiquette, defines terminology, and provides links to valuable resources. It will only take you a few minutes to read and is well worth your time.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of people here will help you, but you owe it to them to put in a little time learning terminology and posting etiquette.

The FAQ at the top of the page lists the rules and posting etiquette, defines terminology, and provides links to valuable resources. It will only take you a few minutes to read and is well worth your time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hobbes you are right. I am being kind of a douche bag, but at the same time the mistakes in my post are fairly small and could be pointed out to me nicely after my question is answered. I just am looking for some answers not a lecture not argument.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:36 PM

I push the first one without thinking. The blinds seem a little small in the second hand to push, but you'd call a raise, so you might as well push, especially if there are antes. I check the last one and see a flop. A push doesn't strike me as terrible, but I don't see him calling with much that you beat. You're also in position and unlikely to hit a flop on which you're dominated. Should be easy enough to play.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:48 PM

I raise the first 2 hands to 600, and the 3rd I check. It's way to early to be pushing. The BB is only 200. Of course if either player comes over the top of me for all my chips and I hold 8s in the SB I call. And I would probably have to call with the A8. But you have too much play here with your stack to just shove the whole thing in preflop without a standard raise first.

hmmmmmmm i might raise to 500-600 from the bb with QJ...i'm not sure. it would depend on my read of the SB so far.