Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 AM

Default Turn decision with a double gutshot.

PokerStars 1/2 Hold'em (5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (3 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP checks.

Turn: (1.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP bets</font>, SB folds, Hero calls.

I do this a lot. Whenever I have a flush draw, an OESD or a double gutshot I don't take in consideration the pot size often enough. For example here, the pot is just 2bb but I do have a double gutshot. Anyone else do this? Should these hands be easy folds?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:31 AM

Default Re: Turn decision with a double gutshot.

You should be betting it yourself.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:33 AM

Very easy flop bet IMO.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:41 AM

Any reason why you didn't feel like taking a shot on the flop or turn?
Really, you could make a case for a fold here. I think if you hit your hand its going to be difficult to get those extra bets that you would expect from implied odds due to the fact that not many people seem interested here. Villian could be just trying to take a shot at getting the pot here himself and may not have a hand that ties him to a pot when you do hit your card. In addition, the guy could have picked up a bd flush draw and is semibluffing. You would have to discount for those two [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. However you may be able to add some half outs for pairs to your 5 or 6. Regardless, yes, the way you went at it, I think its a fold.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:12 AM

noooooo ur not even close.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:54 AM

Easy flop bet.

If your opponents are nubs, bet the turn. If they're smart postflop, then check the turn.

Newbs will get scared of the 9, Tags know it's a good card for their bottom pair.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:57 AM

You aren't really in position to raise a river bet, and you can't expect MP to bet for you to c/r. I think I fold here, but I would have bet the flop and the pot may be bigger.

True
Old 12-20-2005, 10:44 AM

You haven't provided any reads or previous action that could help us make a decision here, so all we have to go on is the action of this specific hand.

The opponent betting the turn was a limper, which means we can put him on being dealt two cards.

Having position on the two blinds, he chooses not to bet when the blinds have shown no interest in the pot.

Then on the turn, when the blinds again check, he bets.

This information indicates that he likely is stabbing at the pot. So I'd checkraise and try to take it down.

Granted I wouldn't have found myself in this spot because I would have either bet out the flop or bet out the turn trying to rep a whiffed flop check raise attempt. If I thought that the player would have bet the flop in order to pick it up I would have check raised there.

Note that I don't play in this game, and my strategies may not be valid given its overall dynamics or that which could come into play in this circumstance. But those are my thoughts given the information available.

Regarding your statements at the end of your post:

Your tone seems to answer your questions. Should you be calling with bad odds? No.

Seeking assurance is important in rooting key concepts; however, when we find ourselves doing this, it shows that we may not be asking the right questions.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:51 AM

That sounded a bit philosophical [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Well if I call and hit my card, that's a guaranteed 4.50 at the end of the pot which is just .25 lower if I count my outs to be 8. Since they are not 8 clear I would need my opponent to at least put one more bet in. That doesn't sound pretty bad for a realistic 1/2 loose game does it? I know it looks like a fold and it might be a clear fold, but IMO it'a little bit borderline.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:59 AM

I think what everyone is saying is that calling the turn is a small mistake but not betting the flop is a big one.