Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2005, 02:37 PM

Default AK, 3-betting pre-flop isn\'t standard anymore?

Just wanted to read some of your thoughts on AK as a pre-flop hand.

I recently noticed that a lot of players, in live games, are calling a raise pre-flop with it and trying to be sneaky with it. In addition, some players even limp in (?!?!) with it.

Has its reputation changed the way players play it?

I am talking about 20/40 at the Commerce.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:41 PM

Default Re: AK, 3-betting pre-flop isn\'t standard anymore?

just calling is weak, very weak, especially in a very very LAG game like the ones at commerce 20.
The limp is ok with AKs from early position to disguise your hand, but once someone has raised its alot more correct to narrow the field and use your position for the remainder of the hand.
Old 12-19-2005, 02:50 PM

I have seen live player check/call with QQ-KK, not to be sniki (barber) but because they are not very good.

Just because someone does it at the table and maybe has it work out for them once or twice doesn't mean it is the right thing to do.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:42 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

I know a player who never raises aces. He prides himself that he pulls an extra little bit out of his aces postflop. The problem is that he always does this, and if your in a hand you can eliminate certain hands because he always does certain things. Now I'm not going to sit here and tell you I eat his lunch, but I do decently against him compared to what other players do, and were they fear his trickiness I see it as a detriment.

You asked about AKo, should I cold call, should I 3 bet. Well the answer is that it depends, you should do some of both but that is based on how the other players play. In the commerce 20/40 I'd 3 bet quite liberally anyway so my AKo is well disguised and the playerrs tend to not be the greatest hand readers (in general) or if they are good hand readers they want to call you down anyway just to tell you they knew what you had.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:55 PM

its a very situational hand.

depending on your opponents, position etc.

it doesnt demand an instant 3-bet.. depending on your opponent and number of opponents.

i'll call sometimes heads up.. but i always usually 3-bet it to narrow the field most of the time if you think you're inviting too many by cold calling.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:32 PM

Hi LRAO,

I agree with most of the previous responses already. It surely isn't standard to do anything in hold'em. I play the 20 at Commerce also, and the key is a bit more postflop rather than preflop. The majority of players who complain about AK missing all the time raise their expectations too high and overplay their hand postflop. As for the way your opponents play it, let them do what they do. Just be confident of how YOU'RE playing it.
Old 12-20-2005, 01:45 PM

If I feel I can get a weaker ace to come along, i'll cold call a raise w/ AK. plus, sometimes your up against someone with say 88, and if you had 3bet preflop, he's gonna give it up pretty easily on a AT2 flop, but if you just coldcall preflop, he's likely to fire on the flop and even the turn.