Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2005, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Persons killed in Iraq

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think he's talking about those who died from combat-related injuries, not those who died in accidents. Just a guess.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds right, though it would make his statement incorrect.

[/ QUOTE ]

His early statement is not just American troops, but Iraqis too, and it's probably way on the low side.

[/ QUOTE ] According to this site, he's actually on the high side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good link, but his number is more consistent with the lower figure they give, because that just lists civilian casualties, while Bush was giving an estimate for the total number of persons killed altogether. (Which is not a criticism of his figure, just a comment on your comment.)
Old 12-13-2005, 05:04 AM

Does the 30,000 deaths include military deaths? Does it include "insurgents'" deaths? Is it just civilian deaths? Does anybody know?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:55 AM

Default Re: They are not persons, they are kilos

[ QUOTE ]
May I remind you how some of those "dead American soldiers" over whom Bush is crying crocodile tears are coming home to be buried ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Cyrus, I've had the distinct honor and sadness to be involved with military flights returning coffins stateside for burial. There is a very strict protocol involved. You don't find, in my experience, infractions of the procedures. Every possible means of showing respect is in place. Those are not happy crews during those flights.

I can't say how commercial flights operate. I do know they have policies/procedures which, IIRC, are dictated by the DoD as part of their contract(s) for shipping coffins. I'm comfortable they follow their agreement.

I didn't comment on the other attempt at making the process look shameful because nobody seemed interested in it. Your remark is in the middle of an active thread and I decided to share my knowledge.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:25 AM

How come no one ever points out the number of dead in Kosovo, a place we now know was truly needlessly bombed and invaded, due to U.S. bombing?
Old 12-13-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How come no one ever points out the number of dead in Kosovo, a place we now know was truly needlessly bombed and invaded, due to U.S. bombing?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because strategic bombings < full scale invasion and occupation

EDIT: Also because it would take 60 years of bombing Kosovo to come to the total dead in Iraq linky
Old 12-13-2005, 11:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you trying to get the terror level raised or something, shhhhhhhhh.

Cody
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does the 30,000 deaths include military deaths? Does it include "insurgents'" deaths? Is it just civilian deaths? Does anybody know?

[/ QUOTE ]
The number from the website I posted deals with civilian deaths. I may have misread the comment Bush made, as I thought he was talking about civilians dead. I'm pretty sure the number from Iraq Body Count and Bush's number do not include insurgents, but I could be wrong.

It's tough to find information on how many insurgents have been killed. Wikipedia mentions a WaPo op-ed that estimates the number of insurgents dead at 45,000 to 50,000 (which is evidence that Bush was referring to civilians dead, not total people dead).